HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   How far can a turkey see? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/62100-how-far-can-turkey-see.html)

TURKEY FAN 05-25-2004 09:44 AM

How far can a turkey see?

Does anyone know how far a turkey can see you walking or moving?

Maybe T.R. can answer this one...

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"

snowdog2 05-25-2004 10:54 AM

RE: How far can a turkey see?

If you can see the turkey, he can see you, only better.

tomshateme 05-25-2004 10:58 AM

Turkeys have super-sharp eyes and can see a lot farther than we can. As to exactly how far I don't know, there are several factors to consider such as the lay of the land, amount of foliage, etc. I pretty much go by the rule that if I can see a turkey, he can see me. Turkeys are very sensitive to movement, but you can sit perfectly still and they will walk right up on you.

determined 05-25-2004 02:59 PM

i was busted by 3 birds this year in open fields i assume feeding.i was fully cammoed walking slow and silent.i caught a glimpse,they periscoped and all the birds took off like roadrunners,maybe 50-70 yards away.i am convinced if they see you its over.most of the material i have read says that at a 100 yards they can be spooked by slight to moderate movement.

TURKEY FAN 05-26-2004 10:45 AM

Yea the reason i posted this topic is i was busted by a whole flock of turkeys in a cow pasture, and i could only the see the turkeys through bino's, but they obviously seen me without any trouble and that was about 200 yds away! That might be magnified in yardage, but it was very far where i couldnt see them without the bino's. Hey where is T.R at?

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"

yankeehunter 05-26-2004 12:08 PM

The experts say that a turkey's vision is about 6 to 10 times better than our vision. I don't know how they calculated that, but I bet it's not far from it.

Strut&Rut 05-26-2004 01:56 PM

Took this from a Field & Stream article...

Eyes: Despite stories of gobblers' being scared off by the blink of an eye, the wild turkey's vision is no more acute than our own. This reputation is probably based more on their extreme skittishness. The slightest motion that it cannot identify will send it bolting.
Their eyes are on the side of their head, and hence they lack good depth perception. They see in at least trichromatic vision, and the oil pigments in their eyes are under investigation. I have a paper on my desk that is looking at the light retention and light induction properties. Some experts believe that they can see in quadromatic vision, visualizing UV. Hence, that's why they can pick a flea out of black soil, they can detect the movement due to the differences in color.

I haven't run across any papers/studies that have looked at the distance of a turkey's vision...

Strut&Rut 05-26-2004 02:24 PM

FYI,

TR just posted his answer to this on his forum on the BBS, page 2...

Adrian J Hare 05-26-2004 04:30 PM

With out looking at TR's anwser ,, I've heard they have 10times the eye sight of a Human.
Now calculate that when they are in the tree at roost , In my own words they have to have 50 times better eyesight then on the ground...BT

Mr. Longbeard 05-26-2004 05:11 PM

I read some were that the way there brain processes information has something to do with the way they react when they see something.

I hope this is not just more useless information;)