HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   weird (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/61325-weird.html)

Legacy357 05-13-2004 05:16 PM

weird

i was turkey hunting this morning and after not hearing anything in this one area, i moved to where i had been hearing birds all week. I sneak in there but a jake spots me and books it. well i sit down and call and i get a nice tom to come in. then he starts to strut hardcore and i see another bird coming in. i see a beard on it so i assume its a jake and he is going to kick the crap out of it. the bird then lies down and he walks on it for 5 mins and then does his thing. the so called jake was a bearded hen(either that or they were both gay). i let him finish his job and then shot him. he was like 18lbs, 9 inch beard and had like .75 inch spurs. how many other people have seen a bearded hen or seen a turkey breed?

sour01 05-13-2004 05:45 PM

RE: weird

I watched a longbeard breed a hen last year. When he was finished he came my way and he was my last bird of the season. All in all---I guess it wasn't a bad way to go!:D

tj_cubin 05-13-2004 05:46 PM

i have never seen either. How long was the beard on the hen?

turkeyhunter_15 05-13-2004 10:25 PM

Ive Seen Bearded Hens

atrautweiler 05-14-2004 10:07 AM

I treed a gobbler three years ago. He answered a tree yelp so I shutup and waited. He flew down and went the other way. After a little while I here a commotion going on over the hill about 40 yards so I basically crawled over to a giant downed tree and peeked over it. There is this gobbler and hen gettin' their freak on. I circled round about 60 yards and sat at the bottom of the hill against a tree, yelped three times and then fell asleep. When I woke up I said to myself, "I don't remember any big log up there?", meaning the cut end of course. When I refocussed my eyes it was that gobbler struttin', so I shot him.

Michiganiac 05-14-2004 10:54 AM

Saw a bearded hen last year - beard wasn't very thick and maybe 7 or 8 inches long. Yet to see turkeys do the "Wild Thing". Weirdest thing I've seen in a while was woodchuck out in a pasture eating horse manure! I am positive he was doing it 'cuz I dropped him from 100yds with my .223, and the soft point blew his guts open and they were stuffed with horse puckey. Brings new meaning to the term "Eat **** and die"

Bill

Legacy357 05-14-2004 04:37 PM

the beard was like 3 inches long and real thin...it was pretty weird

turkeyhunter ewing 05-14-2004 05:09 PM

I have seen many bearded hens...

Squirrelhunter91 05-16-2004 07:48 PM

IMO i would think that a bearded hen would be more of a trophy than a tom....

JW 05-18-2004 02:07 PM

I missed a bearded hen in Mich this year.

She had the neatest waddles and her beard was at least 8 inches.

I have seen quite a few bearded hens but never like this one!

JW