HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Tips for roost gobbling gobblers... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/60887-tips-roost-gobbling-gobblers.html)

turkeyhunter ewing 05-07-2004 07:08 AM

Tips for roost gobbling gobblers...

The turkeys here gobble in the roost and fly down and shut up. I dont quite know what to do the rest of the day. Let me know what you think...

THANKS

Mr. Longbeard 05-07-2004 09:44 AM

RE: Tips for roost gobbling gobblers...

Find the strut zones. AKA do some leg work!!!!!

dawei 05-07-2004 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter ewing

The turkeys here gobble in the roost and fly down and shut up. I dont quite know what to do the rest of the day. Let me know what you think...

THANKS
I have to second Longbeard's advice; find the Strut Zone!

TomC 05-07-2004 01:23 PM

I agree...watch where he's going (strut zone) and be there...next time.

You can also go to work on the dominant hen (if he's got hens with him)...get her interested in your calling, bring her in...and the the whole party will come to check you out...it doesn't happen every time but when it does, it's a lot of fun and full of suspense!

jepcho 05-07-2004 03:23 PM

Yeah you just gotta try your best to find where they are going. It could be strut zones, to feed, or to water. Try to get either close enough to shoot or close enough to call them in.

turkeyhunter ewing 05-07-2004 10:29 PM

How aggersive should you be with the hen and the whole flock?

jepcho 05-07-2004 10:33 PM

If a hen is getting aggressive with you let her have it. Mimic her and even interupt her calling. Sometimes you can get the boss hen so mad she'll come in bringing the toms with her. Picking fights with hens is one of the funnest things to do while turkey hunting. Dont over do it if she's not calling back and forth much though. Overcalling could scare them off. Try to get a feel for what the flock is doing and pattern your calling after that.

Doemasters 05-07-2004 10:34 PM

You pretty much want to piss the brood hen off & let her run her mouth as you sit there quietly. Also might want to try gobbling 1st thing to see if you can get the hens to fly down toward you. Better have an awesome hiding spot!

turkeyhunter ewing 05-07-2004 10:36 PM

so your saying gobbleing to call in the hens or what...?

THanks

jepcho 05-07-2004 10:41 PM

I get aggressive with the hens just by mimicing them as they get more aggressive. Cutting, cackling, yelping. Stuff like that to get her going. If she really gets going interupt her with some cutts and cackles then if you thinks she's making her way thats when I'd tone it down. If you get the boss hen to come in, she'll bring the flock.