Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

were crazy.....

Old 05-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: were crazy.....

Not to try and take all the craziness away from the turkey hunters, as generally you guys are nuts, but you guys sure aren't alone. You can't deny some of the nutty actions and sacrifices of a hardcore bowhunter or even a predator hunter. I'm sure you have to consider waterfowl guys nuts for sitting in icewater waiting on ducks. Heck I've gone out late nights only to get 1 or 2 hours sleep and get up and go trout fishing. The passion that is the OUTDOORS, is what's special, in what ever form it may take.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Much less crazy than ANYTHING THE GOV'T DOES!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes i guess outdoorsmen period are crazy......ive done it to go fishing standing in icewater while its raining running one 4 hrs sleep and an empty stomach......deer hunting i sit in a foot of snow while snow falls and covers me...running on a couple hours of sleep and not much to eat......im crazy all year.....ill go catfish till the wee hours of the morning in the summer....so i guess it is safe to say outdoorsmen are pretty much all a bunch of nuts..........and im proud im a nutcase.......it just dawned on me yesterday turkey hunting......barely any sleep...no time to eat....up early to climb a mountain and get soaked from my waiste down....then sit there and try to kill a turkey.......even if i didnt kill that bird i would still be smiling....any day in the outdoors is a great day.......
Old 05-10-2004, 04:59 PM

You are right on Mauser06 I was a die hard deer hunter. Till I took up Turkey hunting over 25yrs ago, and I love it now as much as I did when I started. And now I have the Greatest hunting partner my 14 yr old son. To enjoy it with, and at his young age he has 4 toms under his belt . I still can remember his frist Bird he got, he didn't understand why I had tears in my Eyes I told him someday He would.....
Old 05-10-2004, 06:15 PM

I realized it this year, when I took my Dad on his first ever hunt, being we have always Elk and Deer hunted he kept asking me" we're goin up that ridge for a bird?" as we were looking at about a 1000ft climb. Well heck ya I answered didn't you here that gobble?

But I do have to say, yes we're nuts, not just the turkey hunters but sportsmen in general, I remember the time I was trout fishing up a river, and I wanted to get to a different stretch of river, it didn't really dawn on me until I realized I had my tackle box tied to my belt, by fishing line and my pole in my teeth. I was aproximately(sp.) 200 to 300 feet above the river, scaling a rock out cropping[][8D][&:]

All that for a 12 inch cutthroat? Yikes!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

mauser,i have a feeling when you typed that message,it was not scripted but spontaneous and from the heart.igot goosebumps reading it and printed it to show my hunting buddies.i think all of us relate.good luckand good health.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:18 AM

MAUSER06,,,,, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD[8D] WE ARE ATE UP!!!! BUT YOU GOT TO LOVE IT
Old 05-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

it wasnt really thought of....i was sitting there that day waiting for the birds to fly off the roost......and i thought about how crazy we must seem to other people.....im sitting there....6am....after climbing a HUGE hill just to go down the other side(around is MUCH easier....but the birds will bust you before you get there) i was soak and wet from the tall grass i walked through on the hill.....i worked till 11 and didnt get to bed till 12 or later....and up at 445am....then i thought about how many times ive done much more then that.....up at 3am driving to the mountains on 2 hrs of sleep walking atleast a mile or 2......all that just for a bird......something about the outdoors just drives me(us) nuts i guess.......im glad dad got me into the outdoors instead of football or baseball!! and my dad knows that i truely love it.....my days off he doesnt know what i do.....he just asks how many fish i caught......or in hunting season what did i get and what did i see......he knows theres nowhere else i rather be in my spare time.....deer season he fights me every year telling me i have to leave the fishing pole behind......if i drive this year it IS coming!!!! why waste a perfect sunday sitting around camp when i can drive down the road take a nice walk through the woods ill hunt the next morning and do some fishing for some native brookies.....they gota eat all year round..........im glad i found these boards.....if i didnt id think i was the ONLY crazy one.....glad to see i got all you crazyies here with me!
Old 05-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent reading......thanks for sharin' ya'll.......i saw a gobbler today with 2 hens struttin', gobbling at 2 in the afternoon.....he was hot...i stopped some tourist and told them what he was and what and why he was doing it, they were in awe, out came the video camera.....they were so excited and they didnt even know what it was, that's like the next best thing to a hunt for me.....