Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

The pressure is off

Old 05-04-2004, 07:44 AM

Default The pressure is off

Yesterday morning as my friend (Gobble Stopper)and I were walking up the trail to get to the top of the hill we heard a gobble.As we reached the top of the hill we got the location down.
As we moved in we realized they were 3 a little farther than we first suspected.We decided to set up at the top of a small point which was actually only 50 yards from where I shot one with 6 spurs last year.
As we waited for a minute before we started calling we were listening to them gobble.There were 3 within 100 yards of us and a hen on the next ridge calling.2 of the 3 gobbling were within 70 yards.One of the birds had the longest gobble I have ever heard.When he would gobble it lasted for 4-5 seconds.No kidding.
As we let out some some tree calls they answered right back and I knew these birds would come in.
After we called we set back for a few minutes and waited.He gobbled on the roost again so my friend done a fly down with his hat on his leg.We waited again .Then he gobbled on the ground and was moving in(slowy).He gobbled from about 50 yards out on the trail we were sitting on.It wasn't the best setup in the world but it was the best we could get.
He gobbled again from about 40 yards and we still couldn't see him.Then he went silent.
The next time we heard him he was drumming so we knew he was really close (within 25 yards) and still couldn't see him.
Then I caught movement about 16 yards and I saw him in about a half strut ducked his head under a limb and took a couple of steps and then the biggest mistake of his life by lifted his head straight up at 14 yards and then BOOOOOMMMMM.
As I stood up to take a look he laid motionless on the trail.
What a thrilling hunt to have one that close before you see him.I just wished the other bird came in with him so my friend could have got him too.
He weighed 18.5 pounds 8.5" beard 1" spurs
Old 05-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The pressure is off

Congrats!! The birds where i hunt are not gobbling at all, hopefully ill have such good luck as you, great job!

'ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"