Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is your first call method?? >

What is your first call method??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is your first call method??

Old 05-03-2004, 12:02 PM

Default What is your first call method??

I would like to have suggestions as to the type of first calling you do to get a gobbler to come. For example do you use yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp. Or yelp, cut, cut, purr? Or others that you have to start the gobbler's testosterone following. I have not found the right pattern as nothing seems to excite them yet!!! I've heard hens talk but nothing is the same. Some only purr, some yelp softly, what's your best technique? Thanks!!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your first call method??

i do a tree yelp and a fly down, first thing in the morning....usually i'm real quiet, doing more purrs and clucks then yelps, i usually dont get agressive unless everything else hasnt worked......
Old 05-03-2004, 06:41 PM

well it depends, if they are gobbling or not. if they are not gobbling, crow call and/or owl call. if they are gobbling and real close, decoys and lots of yelps and clucks.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LV huntin

I would like to have suggestions as to the type of first calling you do to get a gobbler to come. For example do you use yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp, yelp. Or yelp, cut, cut, purr? Or others that you have to start the gobbler's testosterone following. I have not found the right pattern as nothing seems to excite them yet!!! I've heard hens talk but nothing is the same. Some only purr, some yelp softly, what's your best technique? Thanks!!!!
Flydown cackle with concurrent use of the PrimosĀ® Real Wing. Then clucks & purrs until he responds with subsequent soft yelps. Once @ the range I want; ONE PUTT, with immediate/concurrent application of Federal Premium Grand SlamĀ® #6's.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some adivce given to me which seems to work......if they're not gobbling, start with a soft yelp or 2 and then listen. If he's close & quiet you be less likely to scare him off. (too loud, too close and he may think "that's weird...I'm right over here, why'd she have to yell so loud?" and get nervous) If you don't get a repsonse....then yelp a little louder and listen......BUT.......if you're calling across a field with no turkeys in it, then hit 'em with a locator(my $.02)
Old 05-07-2004, 03:15 PM

soft yelp then some clucks and end it with a soft purr.....deadly
Old 05-07-2004, 03:17 PM

If I have roosted a bird the night before. I'll will get setup before light along the same side he is roosted. About a hundred yards or so if I can. I will place my
two hen decoys out in the field about 20yds beyond were I'm setting. This is done ,so when he see the decoys he'll come by me with all eyes on the decoys not me. I start my calling when the song birds start singing. I'll start off with some soft yelps,and when he gobbles I'll stop for a few minutes or so then I'll yelp and cut and get him gobbling again then I'll stop again.My next call will be a fly down crackle that will most likely get him to fly down. Then I'll let him sound off a while without calling back.By then he is looking for the hen then I'll softly Cluck and Purr with a few soft Yelps thrown in.Hopefully that will do the trick REMEMBER if there are other hunters around try to be the frist calling he hears believe me he'll remember your location... Good Luck
Old 05-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mostly I do clucks and purrs. I will throw in some yelping too. I dont get too aggressive unless the hens are acting aggressive.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really hate to say it but I let the gobblers and hunting pressure dictate what kind of calling I do.

I give what I get
Old 05-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

...as for me with 26 years, now behind me...im a fire up caller...i poer it on loud
and exciting..its killid me alot of gobblers..

Quick Reply: What is your first call method??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.