Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 New Yorkers~ did you get out for the youth hunt today? i did (STORY) >

New Yorkers~ did you get out for the youth hunt today? i did (STORY)

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Yorkers~ did you get out for the youth hunt today? i did (STORY)

Old 04-24-2004, 06:30 PM

Default New Yorkers~ did you get out for the youth hunt today? i did (STORY)

me and my dad went up to our camper in sullivan county. we slept there friday night into saturday. woke up at about 5:00. got in the woods around 6:30. no gobbling at all. my dads friend owns a farm up there and we went up to the farm. nothing up there. the day is still young though...8:30 a.m........we were up at the farm for about an hour and a half until 10:00. then we decided to go back to our property and walk the mountain. we didnt see anything up the mountain. now 10:15...... so we then decided to go back down the mountain, but not on the path. as we were approaching a ridge, there was a stone wall which had a gobbler hiding behind it.( we didnt kno at the time) once i took a step towards the wall, the turkey took flight and tried to land in a tree, but couldnt so it just kept on flying. (10:30 AM) it was definetly a gobbler bc we saw the red and blue head stretched out when in took off. only damn turkey we saw all day...[:@][]....... i thought about taking a shot at it with my 20 gauge, but i didnt, it all happend to fast. now what i dont understand is why the gobbler was still all alone that late in the morning........

anyway did anybody else get out for the hunt today, i will be back out tomorrow. gotta wake up at 4:15 AM bc we gotta drive for 40 minutes to get to ulster county...[:@]... well i would love to hear some stories from today.... i am gonna go to bed soon....

Good luck tomorrow if you didnt get anything today..... also good luck for the season
Old 04-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Yorkers~ did you get out for the youth hunt today? i did (STORY)

I Personally didnt, since im 16, but my nieghbors niece did. the local news station filmed the hunt for time warner cable, and the bird wieghed 21lbs, 10 1/2" beard, and 1" and 1 1/8" spurs. Sure is a Dandy for a first!! heh good luck, 1 week!!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Yorkers~ did you get out for the youth hunt today? i did (STORY)

that is cool about your nieghbors niece..........hopefully everyone up there will have their shot at one today
Old 04-25-2004, 12:20 PM

nope today is sunday and no luck. we did hear some coyotes going off in the distance around 9:30. then like 5 minutes later, we heard a gobble. we set the decoyos up and waited for about an hour. it never came.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:57 PM

did u try and call him in??
Old 04-25-2004, 06:29 PM

yea we did try and call him in but he never did answer after he gobbled the first time. i did hear a shot after we started to pack up and walk again.

PS i am on my bros name on the forums