Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why won't they cross?

Old 04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why won't they cross?

This morning at 11:00am, I hadn't heard one of the gobblers I was calling for a while and the other one seemed to be getting further away, so I decided to pack up my stuff and move. While putting my striker pots away, I spotted maybe the biggest gobbler I've ever seen coming in. He came in strutting and saw my decoy . . .but wouldn't cross this stupid little stream. He strutted, spit and drummed over on his side for 25 to 30 minutes, but wouldn't come over. He was about 60 yards away. Then 7 hens came by me at 30 yards and I thought that he'd follow them. Wrong! He waited over there and 4 (FOUR) of them went to him before he went of with them.

Why won't they cross (most of the time). This was a little 2 foot wide stream that wasn't 2 inches deep, but he just strutted until the hens came to him. What a monster!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why won't they cross?

I've noticed the same thing!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:34 PM

a lot of people will give you a lot of theories on this. It happens to everyone...cant get a gobbler to cross a mud puddle...or a fence. I sure as hell know that if i were him...and there were 7 hens...im THERE! Well i think it comes downt to individual gobblers and if they know the birds. If the gobbler is desperate...yeah ive seen them cross. I have seen them fly across RIVERS. But in your case...i would guess that that bird knew the hens would come to him. Boy...doesnt that piss you off though???? and of course....it was the biggest gobbler youve seen...it always is that way lol. murpheys law or something like that, isnt it? better luck next time. (maybe build a bridge )
Old 04-21-2004, 02:35 AM
cj5

my guess ( just a guess ) is since he had all those hens on his side why cross for one ( your decoy ) on your side? but who knows, i ve had them hang up like that too, but had my sons tom he got cross a fence and a creek to get to my hen and jake decoys..who knows?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

cj5--I negelected to mention . . . the hens were all on my side and the 4 that went to him easily and readily crossed the stream to get to him! [:@]

spitndrum--two years ago on the same property, I called a nice gobbler across a wide creek--at least 20' across. That same year I called another giant gobbler--nearly the same size as this one--out of a field full of his hens, just to respond to my cutting (also on the same property). I know they hang up sometimes, but this one was a true trophy. Really a huge gobbler with beautiful colors and a big, perfect fan.

Still have 3 more days though!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:40 PM

Welcome to the unpredictable world of turkey hunting. I had the exact thing happen to me on opening day this year. I was setup on a woods opening with a 2 or 3 inch deep stream about 30 yards from me. Even though the stream was only 8 feet wide that darn bird wouldnt cross it.
I would have been sitting on the other side but the area across the creek was a small game only area. Always, always make sure there is no obstacles between you and the bird. Sometimes they'll cross, but most times they wont. Especially the older stubborn ones. Better luck next time.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:57 PM

I hope his helps a little. Most people fail to realize that mother nature intended for the hen to come to the gobbler. That's why he gobbles. When you call and he hangs up too far or at a creek or something, he just says "alright, I've already done more than I'm supposed to, you come the rest of the way." My best strategy when this happens is to aim your calls farther behind you and it sounds to him like the hen is leaving. He'll sometimes come a litttle farther and give you the shot you need. You can also use a mouth call and some other call at the same time to come across as more than one hen for a little more encouragement.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It happens all the time. If you're gonna hunt turkeys you'd better get used to it. You might want to try using some kind of a jake decoy. Like flambeau's jakester fantail. Something like that might be able to pull that tom in.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:30 PM

i would save my streath if i was a turkey for turkey loveing not jump or crossing stuff becase if that stuff that good they will come too you
Old 04-22-2004, 03:25 PM

Try using a breeding jake and hen decoy set it up near river bank lots of time that will piss him off enough to fly over worth a try
Good luck

Quick Reply: Why won't they cross?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.