HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   OH 4/17 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/59143-oh-4-17-a.html)

DBaker 04-17-2004 12:49 PM

OH 4/17

Woke up early and went down with one of my buddies to scout that I don't get to scout/hunt with as much as I would like. We scouted some spots early, heard quite a few gobbles. Just about every farm we went to listen we heard birds. Saw some nice strutters in some fields I can hunt as well. The bonus of the day was on the way back home we stopped and asked this farmer to turkey hunt. We got to talking and told him how we would like to bring a youth hunter in here and try to get him his first bird. The owner's farm manager showed us around on his ATV where he saw birds and the property lines. We asked him if anyone else hunts and he said no, only you guys. 300+ acres of nice mature hardwoods with a cow pasture all to ourselves. He said if we see anyone else in there to tell them to hit the road. That has got to be one of the nicest landowner's/tenants I have ever met. We're going to take the youth hunter in there on the opener and see if we can't get him a bird. Then after that it's our turn to bust one in there. Gotta love getting permission to hunt new spots!! Ok now I have seriously got too many spots to hunt. But hey, you can never have too many spots to turkey hunt.

Antler Eater 04-17-2004 05:52 PM

RE: OH 4/17

You can never have to many places to hunt.[&:]

Congratulations, sounds like an awesome place.

NJlongbeard 04-17-2004 06:27 PM

Congratulations on discovering another farm to hunt on. Have you ever entertained the idea of writing a book on how to obtain permission to hunt on farms? It appears as you find a new prime farm to hunt on every time I read one of your postings. Is the bag limit in Ohio unlimited? If it is only one or two birds a year, most experienced hunters should be able to harvest the limit with no problem in SE Ohio. I just don't see how you can visit all these farms you boast about before maxing out on the season bag limit, unless, of course, Ohio allows the unlimited harvesting of gobblers.

DBaker 04-17-2004 08:26 PM

With that new farm we have access to 10 private farms in different locations, but all are fairly close to each other, most only a couple miles. The limit in Ohio is two birds. I hate hunting the same places over and over and over. This is why I am always looking for new ground. I hunt, my dad hunts, my best friend hunts, and I got a couple more buddies that accompany me from time to time when I need a partner. We put most of the farms in use year after year. The main reason why I like getting access to different spots is because I hate working the same bird(s) over and over and over every day. Giving the birds a rest from time to time can be beneficial. This is where changing locations comes in handy. Plus we do share a couple farms with a couple other hunters, so not all the birds we hunt are "unpressured birds." New terrain, new birds, new day, that's what turkey hunting is all about. I spend more time before season knocking on doors and scouting than I do hunting. Heck last season I only got out 10 times, the rest of the time I took friends and family members out. I guess it just comes down to me loving to hunt new spots, you can't blame me can you?

DBaker 04-19-2004 07:05 PM

Got a call from my buddy who was out yesterday afternoon early and he was seeing longbeards in our fields we can hunt with not a hen in sight. Could the hens be nesting heavy right now? If so, the gobblers better watch out, they'll be in big trouble come this weekend and Monday.