HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   4/17 turkey pic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/59130-4-17-turkey-pic.html)

SpringHillFarms 04-17-2004 10:53 AM

4/17 turkey pic

Thickbeard 04-17-2004 11:08 AM

RE: A Turkey Hunting Adventure

Congratulations on a nice gobbler. Adventure is the right word for that hunt. Good job.

Strut&Rut 04-17-2004 02:49 PM

I'm not sure which adjective best describes you and this hunt...

1) Idiotic...what were you thinking by not stepping on his neck and just ending his misery...

2) Lazy...you had to go get the truck for a 20lb. turkey?

3) Lucky...you were able to harvest a bird after successfully calling the bird, taking a bad shot, and then not finishing the job the first time...

4) Perseverant...one thing I will say, you didn't give up.

With so many gobblers, how can you be sure the one you finally tagged was the one you shot first?

SpringHillFarms 04-17-2004 04:25 PM

Strut and Rut,
I appreciate your attempt at characterizations. As for your list, I did not step on his neck as every other turkey I have killed has died within minutes and I thought this one would, too. As for going to get my truck, I prefer to ride back to my home rather than walk the 20 miles. As for luck, well, you may have finally hit on an accurate description. I was fortunate to have found the bird. As for knowing I shot the same bird the second time, it's pretty easy to tell when a bird has been shot and unable to fly after being previously hit, not to mention the fact that I had walked around and looked at the bird where he was initially shot and knew which bird I was dealing with. He was hit hard after the first shot and appeared to be dying when I walked away. Looking back on it, I should have stepped on his neck, but with the way he was hit, at time didn't think it was necessary. As for a bad shot, you may think so, but from what I observed, I thought the gun's tight choke did a great job at that distance, though indeed 9-10 yards longer than I had patterned the choke.

Antler Eater 04-17-2004 05:40 PM

All I can say is, that was one UNLUCKY turkey! ;)

Congrats on your bird however.

arffslug 04-17-2004 05:44 PM

Thanks for sharing a great (and nicely written) story! Not very many hunters have the huevos to tell it like it REALLY HAPPENED. I appreciate your honesty, as well as the laugh. Nice bird too!

Hawgnman 04-17-2004 05:56 PM

Nice bird and I enjoyed the story:D

Gobbling Buck 04-18-2004 12:54 AM

Nice bird. Hope there's a lesson learned with the hunt.

huntnma 04-18-2004 03:27 AM

congrats on the bird.....

Turkey Gator 04-18-2004 03:18 PM

what story?