HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Well, i went from none to Finally one (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/59007-well-i-went-none-finally-one.html)

.308 Swar 04-15-2004 09:42 PM

Well, i went from none to Finally one

I have to thank you all again for your encouragement. I finally tagged the mighty Tom. This is my frist turkey and i will never forget it. here is how it went down:

I went to my friends hunt club monday afternoon in orangeberg, Sc. Well that monday it was raining like hell but i said i dont care and sat myself in a blind off of a nice open field. Well towards dark i didnt see a thing not even a hen. So i packed my gear up and headed back to the cabin. I watched the weather channel and saw more rain and wind so i decided to sit on another open field (food plot) in the AM since it was going to rain again.

Well that whole morning, tuesday, it rained and rained. I just kept going over and over in my head what you all said. So i stuck it out. well i didnt see much just some hens, 4 of them. They got pissed off at my decoys but i did have fun calling back to them and playing with them. Man they didnt know what to think of those decoys it was pretty funny. I thought for sure a Tom would be with them, but as my luck has it, no Tom.

So, i head back to the cabin again for a quick lunch. As I sat and ate lumch i contemplated whether to go back out. I looked outside and the weather was starting to clear. So i said hell with it i am going.

I got into the blind around 1:30 pm. I was in a food plot of chuffa and wheat. So i sat there and waited and waited. I would call a little here and a little there. WEll i sat there until about 4:00 and i said to my self i give it one more hour and i am heading home. Just then i see 3 black object appear way down at the other end of the field about 200 yards away. I pull out the binos and there they are in all there glory 3 TOMS.

I about crapped all over myself. Everything you all have told me and everything i had read was racing through my mind . I took a deep breath and out came 3 Yelps from my mouth call. I had no damn idea i was even doing it. All of them stopped and looked my way at my decoys and then they started eating again. So 4 more yelps came this time a little more excited and it was like i turned on a light switch. All i saw was 3 white heads on black bodies marching staight for me.

Now i was starting to shake a little. Each 50 yards they closed in on me i started to shake even more, and i thought buck fever was bad. I thought i lost them one time as they started to head off to the woods but i let out a nice purr and a cluck and man did they put it in over drive. They were waliking in a V formation and headed to beat the crap out of my jake. It was so funny i looked like a street gang.

Anyways, during all of this i was trying to find the biggest one but i couldnt decide so i am shooting for the middle one he is the leader. They got about 10 yards from my jake, passed up my hen, and i nailed him and he dropped to the ground. I could have had a double if was damn faster at Pumpin the shotgun ;)

Man what a great feeling. It was my frist turkey and iwll never forget it. It still blows my mind that 3 of them head right for me. I am now officially addicted to this.

here are some pics of him. He weighed 21 lbs, 9 1/2 inc h beard, and 1 1/4 inch spur.......
Thanks again to you all. ....... And for the new guys out there, hang in there it will happen. Beleive m i didnt think it would and look i had 3 of those guys comin right for me.

.308 Swar 04-15-2004 10:00 PM

RE: Well, i went from none to Finally one

here is another one

WEll my pictures are better than this but i couldnt get bigger ones to post.,. How do you all get bigger pictures on here

Turkey Addict 04-15-2004 11:49 PM

Now Here is one big Congratulations to you! I'm glad to hear things finally worked out for you. And what a dandy bird too!
Sometimes you got to hang tough and have patients. I bet you feel on top of the world now. In order to post Big pics you need to upload your pics to an online image server, I have an account through Homestead. But there are free ones out there too. Once you have your pics uploaded you right click on your Image and look for Properties. This will show you the web address of your pic. Then just copy and paste that address in between These things .

way to go .308 Swar!

JW 04-16-2004 03:22 AM

Well troops we got us another convert....too bad as ya never will be right again! :)

CONGRATULATIONS

Even after 18 years I am pumped as the day I started...with my first bird of the year the guy I was with thought I was going into cardiac arrest I was brathing so hard vefore the shot.......and I couldn't stop shaking after the bird was in my grubby little hands!

Welcome to da flock... .308 :)

JW

Ps.....I open my album so I can get a bigger picture...looks like you are copying your thumbnails.

jalvja 04-16-2004 03:26 AM

Congrats,Ya done good.;)

Deleted User 04-16-2004 04:59 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

huntnma 04-16-2004 05:36 AM

sounds like a perfect hunt.... congrats on a fine bird:D:D:D

Hawgnman 04-16-2004 06:06 AM

Way to go 308!!:D

Deleted User 04-16-2004 07:31 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Anthony Hunter 04-16-2004 08:38 AM

congrats, way to stick with it!!!!;):D;)