HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Shoot my shotgun through pop up blind see through mesh???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/58906-shoot-my-shotgun-through-pop-up-blind-see-through-mesh.html)

1turkeykiller 04-14-2004 09:23 PM

Shoot my shotgun through pop up blind see through mesh????

I need to know if anyone has ever tried shooting a shotgun through the shoot through mesh in their ground blind, or if you have heard of anyone doing this. My dad and I are hunting togehter on Friday and I will be using my bow and he will be using his shotgun. I want to leave the see-through mesh up so I can draw my bow but that means my dad will have to shoot through the mesh. What do you all think?

roman 04-15-2004 03:35 AM

RE: Shoot my shotgun through pop up blind see through mesh????

I have used a blind and would discharge a firearm inside ONLY wearing hearing protection of some type . I don't own one but a Walkers Game Ear
would be the logical choice since it will allow you to have conversation and hearing protection . If you use muffs how will you hear one of the primary reason we do this, the Gobble !
my 2 cents.:eek:

kevin1 04-15-2004 05:08 AM

I own an Ameristep Outhouse(I didn't name it) , and the instructions say not to fire a gun through the mesh since it is a fire hazard . The mesh is shoot through for arrows/bolts only , not guns .

fletch920 04-15-2004 10:29 AM

I let my son shoot his 20 ga. shotgun through the shoot through mesh of my doublebull blind last Fall for his first turkey. It tore a hole in the mesh about the size of a softball. His gun was about 6 inches back from the mesh. I used a needle and thread and stitched it back up and it is still fine. I shot a gobbler Monday through the same mesh with my bow. A friend of mine let his son shoot through the mesh also. He had the barrell against the mesh when he shot and it just burned a hole about the size of the muzzle. Good luck!

mez 04-15-2004 02:32 PM

Just open the windows and shoot the gun out the open window. If you wear black clothes turkeys won't see you inside the blind if you move slow and are quiet. The mesh was originally added for deer hunting as deer don't like the black hole effect of open windows. It doesn't bother the turkeys. Forgot to add, only open the windows on one side or they will see you because of backlighting.

Turkey-dog 04-15-2004 08:14 PM

DO NOT shoot through the mesh unless you have hearing protection. I shot two turkeys last year out of mine ( with my barrel out the window) and couldn't hear out of my right ear for 2 days.The next morning my wife had to tell me where the turkeys were gobbling because I couldn't tell (she got one that day anyway :)). If it hurt my ears that much I couldn't imaging the damage resulting from being completely inside the blind. Just be carefull, once you loose your hearing you can't get it back.