Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Too late?

Old 04-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Too late?

I live in Ky and for the past few years, it seems that most of the hens are done and the gobblers are much less responsive before our season even starts. Our season always starts on the 15th of April and runs for 3 weeks. But, if you don't have any luck in the first week, its time to switch strategies and go into ambush mode. And its looking like this year will be no different. I spent all day Saturday in the woods and only heard two gobblers where two weeks ago in the same place, I had them all around me. I know that they're still there because I could hear them flying down and saw several. Don't get me wrong, I'll be glad to take one either way, but I'd rather call them in. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:49 PM

Default RE: Too late?

The weather is messing them up here alot this year. Hens aren't helping but more the weather I think.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

PA usually has the same problem, but it's not looking too bad for this year. But the one problem is the freakin HENS. I wish more guys would start shooting them in the fall because there sure is no lack of them.. Last saturday I saw 4 gobblers w/ 22 hens!!! These gobblers are goign to be easy to hunt....righttttttt
Old 04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

..You should try April 26,here in west virginia,but i never complain just makes you
a better turkey hunter,most times you have to hunt...just every-bird dont come troting
to you first call,but that makes it fun,and less hunters...here is what they say.....
all it is to late season is over by now..and then...and i come
bringing a big Gobler over the shoulder,..
Old 04-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from Ky also and when I went on the youth hunt a couple of weeks ago I only got a couple 2 gobble. Early in the Morning though. He was gobbling up a storm. LOL
Old 04-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

From what I understand, most wildlife departments set up the seasons to take place after most hens are bred. If your breeding season has become a bit earlier( due to mild winters) they might not have adjusted the dates. Could be your toms are really losing interest in hens since they have not found a receptive one in quite a while. Certainly will add some chalenges to the hunt.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Knight & Hale sell a Gobbler Guide that lays out the different phases that turkeys are in during the Spring plus or minus 5 days. The Guide also talks about techniques to use during those phases. Since they are also from KY you might want to check it out and see if it gives you any new ideas.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll have to check that out. I took off work today to do some last minute scouting to see whats happening and things "sounded" a little better.[8D] I saw 9 hens and 2 mature gobblers. One of the toms walked up to my blind and looked in at me. If he does that again in the morning, he'll hopefully have an arrow stuck in his hide.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I didn't get the shot at the mature gobbler I was after, but seeing as how I was bowhunting, this jake was just too hard to resist. 17lbs, 6-inch beard and 5/8 spurs.