Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

FIRST TURKEY!!!!

Old 04-12-2004, 07:13 PM
cj5

Default FIRST TURKEY!!!!

TOOK MY 7 YEAR OLD ON HIS FIRST TURKEY HUNT SATURDAY MORNING AND IT WAS THE BEST. IT STARTED AT 5:00 AM AND IT WAS A COOL WINDY MORNING IN NORTH MISSOURI. AT 5:45 WE WERE IN THE GROUND BLIND AND PATIENTLY WAITING, I BLEW ON MY HOOTIN TUBE WITH NO RESPONSE, THEN A REAL OWL LET OFF, NO RESPONSE! TEN MINUTES LATER I LET OFF ANOTHER ONE, NO RESPONSE! THEN AT ABOUT 5:15 A GOBBLE! ABOUT 150 YARDS AWAY, THEN ANOTHER, SO I LET OFF WITH SOME SOFT YELPS AND HE ANSWERED THIS TIME WITH THREE GOBBLES. IT WASNT BUT JUST A FEW MINUTES WHEN I COULD SEE HIS BLACK BODY COMING ACROSS THE OPEN FIELD, BUT WAIT! THERE IS ONE PROBLEM. THERE IS A TREELINE WITH A CREEK AND A FENCE BETWEEN US, OH S@#$T!!! AS THE TOM WAS WITHIN 50 YARDS OFF US I LET OFF SOME SOFT YELPS AGAIN HE STOPPED SEEN MY HEN AND JAKE DECOYS AND GET THIS, HE PROCEEDED THROUGH THE FENCE, DOWN INTO THE CREEK, THIS IS WHEN I GOT THE GUN INTO POSITION FOR MY SON AND TRIED TO HELP HIM GET READY WHEN HE SNAPPED " I CAN DO IT DAD! " THEN THE BIRD APEARED OUT OF THE CREEK AND 10 YARDS TO THE LEFT SIDE OF MY BLIND. HE WALKED RIGHT PAST THE BLIND AND HEN DECOY WITHOUT PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO EITHER AND WAS JUST ABOUT TO POUNCE ON THE JAKE DECOY WHEN " BANG!!" THE BOY DROPPED HIM LIKE A SACK OF TATORS!!
IT WEIGHED IN AT 17 POUNDS WITH A SIX INCH BEARD AND ONE INCH SPURS. IT WAS THE GREATEST DAY I COULD HAVE EVER ASKED FOR!...NOT TO MENTION IT WAS THE EASIEST DANG HUNT I HAVE EVER BEEN ON. IT ONLY LASTED ABOUT 45 MINUTES AND IT WAS OVER. BUT THE MEMORY WILL LAST FOREVER.... SORRY THE STORY WAS SO LONG, BUT I JUST HAD TO SHARE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL AND HAPPY HUNTING!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM
cj5

Default RE: FIRST TURKEY!!!!

SORRY BOUT THE MIX UP ON SOME OF THE TIMES. MY FINGERS WERE TYPING JUST A LITTLE TOO FAST , BUT I THINK YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN
Old 04-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats. Sounds like an AWESOME day. Tell us, who was more excited dad or the boy?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

..great story ...thanks...
Old 04-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fantastic! What a great hunt.Congrats to ya both.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:33 PM

congrats to you both......
Old 04-12-2004, 08:40 PM

I can only hope for a hunt as memorable when I have a son. Congrats!
Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 PM

Nice hunt and way to go, there can't be anything better...
Old 04-12-2004, 09:23 PM
cj5

hey, thanks folks! i tell ya what i think i was more excited, i practically tore the zipper off the blind trying to get out and yes of course he is planning on going with me when the regular season starts on the 19th. and of course i will let him..good luck to ya all
Old 04-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

That's AWESOME! Congrats to you both.

Quick Reply: FIRST TURKEY!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.