Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Got another on Saturday. >

Got another on Saturday.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got another on Saturday.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got another on Saturday.

I got my 2nd tom, for the year, Saturday morning. I went out Saturday morning and set up in an area that I've been seeing birds and they've been getting the best of me. I changed my tactics a little and set up closer to where they've been. I was in the middle of a clear cut about 300 yds from the tree line wth a green field, that they have been coming to, at my back and up a hill from me. I got there well before daylight and used the moon to get to my spot and set up in a big oak that the loggers had cut and left laying. My plan was for the birds to walk up the hill from the creek (woodline) to the green field and take one at 15yds. The plan was good, but it just didn't happen that way. Shortly after fly down, I saw a hen on an opposing ridge and thought the hunt was over. I figured she'd lead the toms off away from me, but I decided to wait it out and see what would happen. Well to my good fortune, she crossed the draw and got on the same ridge I was on and was feeding about 70 or so yds down the hill from me. I thought that she'd hang the boys up if they came to her, so I decided to try and call her. The toms were gobbling their heads off all around and there were 5 that were past her that I was trying to get to come to call. Anyway, I did some agressive cutting and clucks trying to get her to go to the green field at the top of the hill. I had just finished putting my striker down and hadn't got my hand back on my 835 when I heard SPIT VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM. I 'bout jumped out of my skin. (This was the first time I'd ever heard one drum.) I caught movement out of my periferal vision and there was a large black object at about 6yds on my left. Well, this large black object turned out to be 2 strutting toms and they were drumming every step. I was stuck and couldn't move or I'd be busted for sure. They make there way down the hill (at 6yds) towards the hen, but I don't guess they saw her yet. They had gotten into full view and I don't know if they heard my heart pounding or saw me moving to the rythem or my own heart beating, but they turned to go back up the hill (still not in my line of sight on my gun). When they turned, the hen at the bottom of the hill started cutting like crazy and they turned to go to her. When they got into my sight picture, I made a little noise to get them to raise they're heads. The one furthest from me did just that and I put the red dot on his head and "laid the smackdown on him". He wasn't as big as the other bird, but I'm just as happy with him. I don't know if this story does the hunt justice, but it was by far the most exciting hunt yet. I took him by bamabuck27's house and woke him up and let him see. He had to work the night before and couldn't go.

Weight: 21lbs 2oz
Beard: 8.5"
L Spur: 15/16"
R Spur: 15/16"
Old 04-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got another on Saturday.

congrats on an awesome hunt
Old 04-12-2004, 07:25 PM

congrats.....on the hunt........need pics.......
Old 04-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story. I could feel the excitement! Congrats.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats GB.Awesome hunt.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go GB... poor Bamabuck...
Send the pictures to me if you would like me to post them again if you have any
Old 04-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go!! New York's season starts on May 1st and I'm pumped!!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:11 PM
cj5

sounds like a great time, good hunt.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:44 AM

Big High Fives!!!! Congrats.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 AM

Congrats to you! Sounds like your having a fine year.

Quick Reply: Got another on Saturday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.