HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   MY CALLIN (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/57855-my-callin.html)

BullRider17 04-04-2004 02:49 PM

MY CALLIN

Hey All ,
Welp i got a BIG PROB. with my Turkey Calling...
Ok This past Saturday Season opened i went out and Started calling Did not here one Gobble all day long , and out of the whole day i called in HENS , i would move and set-up and starting and called in more HENS , thats all i can call in , I know their and pently of Toms their How can i get them to answer me ?? please help i called a Flock of Hens in about 300 to 375 yards away , WHATS my Prob... ??????

Thanks

huntnma 04-04-2004 03:00 PM

RE: MY CALLIN

hens are good to have around, they might be what brings that ol bird into range.....the first 4 years i hunted that is all i saw....then that day happens , that gobler wil come running in...be patient..... if you want ,t ry cutting at the hens and see if you get them excited.....that might help ya ..a gobbler will find it hard to resist ....

Washington Hunter 04-04-2004 03:01 PM

Calling in Hens is not necessarily a bad thing. Where there are Hens there are Toms and generally where the Hens go the Toms will follow. Don't get discouraged, you're bird will show up.

dog1 04-04-2004 06:02 PM

Just keep working the birds. As others have said, he'll come, just hang in there.

A good friend of mine has been hunting for several years and never got a gobbler. Our season opened here on the 20th and he has gotten two gobblers since. One suggestion, if you can use a mouth call, use it with another call at the same time, make it sound like you are more than one hen. If you can't use a mouth call get another call that you can work along with the one you already have. Good Luck.

dog1

b.p. 04-04-2004 09:09 PM

Hey, first off i need to know if the gobblers are gobbling in the roost but shutup as soon as they fly down, are they gobbling constantly but wont come any closer, or you have not heard any gobbles at all. First if they are gobbling on the roost but shutup as soon as they hit the ground then the chances are they have found a hen and will be with her the remainder of the day. If you hear them gobble constantly but will not come any closer, chances are the gobbler is old and mature and is playing "hard to get" and is in an open area where he wants you to go to him instead of him coming to you. Another possibility if he is gobbling and wont get any closer is that there is an obsticle between you and him, such as a fence, creek, or some other obsticle. If this is the case then you need to very quietly gather all of your equipment and get on the same side as he is and set back up. Finally if you are hearing no gobbles but know for a fact that there are gobblers in the area there is a fair chance that they may be "hened up" for a few days but you still need to go out in the woods because any morning one may be looking for you. Just be patient, hens in your setup can not hurt you, unless you spook them, but just be very patient and wait it out and you will have some luck.

totoe 04-04-2004 09:40 PM

..LOOK AT IT THIS WAY,IF YOU CALLED HENS TO YOU,..YOU SOUNDED LIKE
ANOTHER HEN...THATS GOOD...[:-]

Adrian J Hare 04-05-2004 05:10 AM

Just the day, it happens to me every now and then. If the hens are not receptive at the time , they may have more to do with your calls then the gobblers. Keep at it your doing fine...BT

jalvja 04-05-2004 05:56 AM

What everyone else said,If you're foolin hens then you're doin nothin wrong.Patience.

snowdog2 04-05-2004 11:03 AM

If you can call the hens, come sit by me!!! (The toms will follow, eventually.)