Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How close have you been to a wild turkey? >

How close have you been to a wild turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:53 PM

Default How close have you been to a wild turkey?

For me I have four I remember more than the others. Two hens, Two Jakes and one Gobbler.

1. Had a hen fly out of tree right in front of my boots while sitting on the ground and she walked around until she pulled on my tips of my boot string hitting her hed on my barrel of the shotgun resting in the v of my two boots.

2. Second hen keeps trying to see my eyes and then a bug must have went in my barrel and got her attention and she stuck her beak right in the barrel.

3. While sitting in a creek bed below the level of the bank a friend of mine watched two jakes come right to the edge of the creek bank just above my head and the leafs on the edge falling onto my head. I could see my friend smile as he watched.

4. The latest while filming this gobbler he walked right next too me and stretched his wings and hit me on the shoulder.

Now none of this is april fools and all true events only the names have change to protect the innocent.

By the way enjoy the last photo.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How close have you been to a wild turkey?

about 2 feet...BT
Old 04-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I had a longbeard pitch out of his roost and land behind me. i called one time and he gobbled and came into my set up on my off hand side. He stopped right next to me, approx2 feet. He stood therefor a few minutes and gobbled about 10 times. Let me tell you what I was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. I watched him out of the corner of my ey for about 5 minutes. He eventually figured somethin was up and turned to leave. I never heard him again.

Talk about a rush. A longbeard at two feet gobbling his head off. first time he gobbled I though I was going to loose it. That will definetly get your heart going.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:59 AM

Horntagger

I was hunting up in morgan county(missouri) about 10 years ago. I spotted 2 toms with 8 hens strutting out in a field. I stalked up the ridge on the back side of the field. When I got within 60 yards of the field I had to bellycrawl the last 40 yards. The group had moved to my side of the field. I got to within 10 yards of the field and a hen was crossing the fence. I was laying face down on the ground not moving a inch. The hen walked right over my back. She never knew I was there. She started heading down the ridge, The toms were 30 yards from the treeline. I called the toms right up and shot the biggest one.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:30 AM

The tom I shot with my bow last year almost touched my blind as he strutted by. I shot him at about 4 yards as he came around the front.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same as BT, 2-3 feet tops!! I could of touched their heads with the end of my barrel if I tried!!
Old 04-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

About this close /.................................................. ....................................../
Old 04-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Spike

While I setup at a tree I had a hen come right straight to my boots before she stopped. She would scratch take a couple of steps and scratch again until she got to my boots then decided she should changed direction or run into me and the tree. I watched her walk off feeding. I also had a jake with a little stub of a beard walk up to me in a rainstorm checking me out. I could have bopped him in the head with the barrel of the gun. I don’t know why or what he thought I was but I was thinking to myself curiosity killed the cat and he won’t be around long doing that.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

...Believe this i once spit on a (hen)...that is close...[:-][:-]
Old 04-02-2004, 03:46 PM

I had a Hen, stand on my Ankle, for about 10 seconds,several years ago.I was wearing a Gillie Suit. She caught my eyes moving, and turned inside out, trying to get out of Dodge.

Quick Reply: How close have you been to a wild turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.