HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Scouting Report - What do I do next? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/57205-scouting-report-what-do-i-do-next.html)

NJlongbeard 03-28-2004 08:47 PM

Scouting Report - What do I do next?

Went scouting today for first time. As I stood on top the ridge before sunsise, I heard one sounding off at about 500 yards away in the distance towards the bottom. This one sounded off every couple of minutes. All of a sudden one about 70 yards away sounded off... after this one sounded another one at about 80-90 yeards sounded off. These two exchanged gobbles for about 10 minutes. It was a heavily forested area and I could not see either bird. Next I heard what I thought was the flapping of wings...could this have been these two flying down off the roost? After that noise, not another gobble was heard. What do you guys recommend my next step be? Thanks in advance.

devillfishvoice 03-28-2004 09:56 PM

RE: Scouting Report - What do I do next?

I would go back to that same spot, if you hear all that gobblin agian you probly found where they roost. if thats the case find a good place to set up and see what happens. if they go the other way try to follow them very stealty so you dont spook em..see where they go. look around for droppings, look for strut zones, look for any sign that says they hang around in that area, if you find droppings around the bottoms of trees (really close to the tree like a few inches) thats a good sign they are roosting there. you might have found a real good spot. ive had alot of birds gobble like crazy just befor they flew off the roost and once they hit the ground not a peep. its not uncommon for them to sound off on the roost and then fly down and not make another sound until after the hens go to nest. I am not an expert or anything but thats just my opion, Iam sure someone else might have a better answer. but that is what I would do..good luck hope I helped.

ElCid05 03-28-2004 10:13 PM

If you are in NJ, the birds are just now likey getting territorial. The birds have split out of their bachelor groups and are ready to go, but likely the hens still arent. They may be finding a few receptive hens in the area.

All the gobbling on the roost is normal. In an area with a high number of hens, the hens will likely come to the gobbler, or at least some of them, so he is used to gettting "breakfast in bed" so to speak, and will often fly down to a hen.

Sometimes when they hear one bird gobble, they will gobble back, like a shock gobble.

Best bet is to get where the birds want to go. Try to find out where these birds are flying down to and set yourself up there. If you can't get close enough, then set up where the hens are roosting or where the gobblers are strutting.

Andy

Strut&Rut 03-29-2004 08:49 AM

It sounds as if you're quite "green" to turkey hunting, so I'll add some quick pointers...

1) After listening to them gobble on the roost, try to stay out of that area in the morning and late evening. Just as with scouting deer, try to do most of your terrain scouting between 11am and 3pm. Look for feathers, tracks, droppings, wing-drag marks, dusting bowls, feeding cups, and the obvious---food/brush/water.

2) If possible, try to use binoculars to determine where the birds are at varying parts of the morning. If this is not possible, you will have to rely on your terrain reading skills...

3) From those roost sites, find any small clearings that can be used by the hens for feeding and the toms for strutting.

4) Next, find all available sources of remaining mast, the hens will be hitting this hard to store energy for their incubation periods.

5) Water is always a good bet, many birds will fly down to their hens, go to a primary feeding/strut zone and then head to water.

6) Find a good dirty area (sand or nice dry silt) where the birds can dust. As the weather gets warmer, the bugs will be out and the birds will need to dust a) to help control the bugs, and b) to help them keep cool.

7) Identify any thick brushy/briar areas---look for areas that can be approached by something 1 foot tall, and definitely an area you would never wander through. These will most likely be used by the hens for nesting, and later in the season will be ideal mid-morning areas to call in a tom because he will be searching for his "lost hens".

8) Ask the turkey gods for good weather, good luck, and to keep your hunting area free from trespassers...;)

tnichols 03-29-2004 09:28 AM

NJlongbeard
When you go hunting go to the same spot and listen for gobbles. When you hear one that is close like the one at 80 yards, move in using cover and position your setup close to the bird, preferably above him. Once you are setup and the bird is gobbling in the tree call ONCE and put your calls away until he flies down(very important). If you keep calling he will stay in the tree. After your calls are put away get a small stick and about every 2 minutes scratch the leaves by you where he can hear it. Scratch like this.. scratch..scratch pause scratch. What you are trying to do is imitate a hen that has flown down and is scratching the ground.
Now listen for him to fly down. When he flies down listen for him walking in the leaves. Also listen for him drumming...sounds like this..............VMUMMMMMMMMM...Spit! If you can hear that he is close. If he does'nt show in 10 minutes call to him. If he gobbles and he is close DO NOT CALL AGAIN. Keep scratching the leaves but make sure he does'nt see your hands move. Hold the stick close to the ground to hide your movements. If you can hear him but cannot see him make sure your gun is up and ready he can show himself at anytime and when he does he will be looking for the hen(you). Make sure you are totally camoed
(gloves mask, everything) and by all means do not move a inch. If you have to move, do so very slowly. When he is in range(20 to 30 yards) put the bead on your gun at the base of his neck and pull the trigger. Try to shoot him when he is not in full strutt if you can. Good Luck!

Adrian J Hare 03-29-2004 04:09 PM

You just heard why Gobble shakers make good Locators ;). The guys have gave ya some good advice...BT