Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Rhino choke appearance question >

Rhino choke appearance question

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rhino choke appearance question

Old 03-26-2004, 09:59 AM

Default Rhino choke appearance question

I ordered a new Rhino choke for my Mossberg 935 from Wing Supply. When it came, it looked like it was rusty to me. I wrote to Wing Supply and asked if this was normal. The service department replied as follows:

I checked the other Rhino chokes that are in stock and they all have the brown like rust on them. Some are worst than others, some are completely brown. If you do not want to keep it I will send a call tag and pick it up, but if you order another one I'm afraid it will be the same way. The sporting goods MGR said they were all like that.I do not know why . . .
Does anyone who has a Rhino choke know if I'm looking at a bad choke/bluing, or is this normal for Rhinos???
Old 03-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rhino choke appearance question

Snowdog2,
I too have a Rhino. The information that came with mine from the company said that they are brown acid washed to produce a brown, no glare, no-shine finish.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:21 PM

Tenn--You're right--here's the response I got from Rhino:

The choke isn't rusting... We brown the 2" extension at the end of choke. Yes, it's appearance has a reddish color to it that is normal and that is the way we do it directly here at the factory. It is not defective you may use this choke for turkey season. Good Luck and enjoy your new Rhino Turkey choke.
Personally, I think it looks like crap, but I guess it is "official", so I'll give it a try. (I may have a gunsmith camoclad it sometime.)
Old 03-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

If you don't like it, send it to me. I'll Scotch-Brite it and paint it.

Oh, just noticed it's for a Mossberg. Don't have one of those; but maybe I could exchange it.