HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   overstaying your welcome (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/57011-overstaying-your-welcome.html)

st1 03-26-2004 08:40 AM

overstaying your welcome

We let a guy start hunting a few of our fields for turkey this spring and he's having a good year. He's killed three birds in the same field in less than a week. The season just opened last weekend. The state bag limit is three birds and they are in place for a reason, to avoid overhunting a species and afford others a chance to hunt. I know for a fact that this clown has every intention of going after more toms this year. He hasn't bothered once to let us know when or where he'll be going. He doesn't know it yet but his hunting is done forever on our place. Land owners around here used to be very generous about letting folks hunt and fish their property. Not so anymore becuase of people like this doing whatever, whenever and never asking other than the first time, if at all. Yes I'm on my soap box because this crap happens all the time and it pisses me off. Next time someone tells you no thank clowns like this.

Fullback24 03-26-2004 08:54 AM

RE: overstaying your welcome

I'd run him off my place first....then I'd report him to the game warden, if you know he's killed three and after more!! I face it and face it every year and like you, I'm tired of it!!

t roy 03-26-2004 08:58 AM

the guy obviously has little respect for generosity, instead of getting worked up about it just tell the guy he's done and be very clear he no longer has permission to be on your property, if he doesnt listen let a game warden tell him.

portable ladder 03-26-2004 09:24 AM

kick him off, anyone who didn't follow the rules and laws of hunting would be off any property i owned

JW 03-26-2004 09:26 AM

Heck......

I would let him on.........wait a bit.......call the Game Warden! :D

Pretty easy for me to turn him in.

He wouldn't know what hit him!

JW!

snowdog2 03-26-2004 09:51 AM

I'm sorry that the hunter you were kind enough to let hunt on your lands has abused the privelege. I hope you do not shut out all hunters because of one bad apple in the barrel. If another hunter asks, though, I think it would be wise for you to lay some ground rules up front with the hunter, like saying "you can only go each time if you ask me first, because other hunters might be there" and/or telling him you expect a report at the end of the day, or that you expect the hunter will obey all game laws, maybe that you only will permit him or her to take only one bird from your lands, etc. Decide what your rules are and tell people that you let hunt what they are. Obviously, violating the game laws by taking more than the law permits should not be tolerated. Some of the other matters, though, are a problem of communication of expectations. If you never told him you expect him to check in before each day he goes, how would he know that? If you only wanted him to shoot one bird from your lands, but never told him, same question. (Speaking from my own expectations/experiences as a hunter, if I ask/get permission to hunt turkeys or pheasants on a particular piece of ground, I've always figured that was for whenever in the season I could get there, unless the landowner put a restriction on me like, "yes, but only for today", or "yes, but someone else will be here next week", etc.) Maybe I'm wrongheaded about that and need to enhance my own communication skills.

RIStrutStopper 03-26-2004 10:09 AM

Too bad people like this spoil it for the rest of us who are not fortunate to have their own property to hunt. Bag limits and other regs are there for a reason, and if you are fortunate to be allowed to hunt someones property, common courtesy and strict adherence to the landowners wishes are a must.

KSU920 03-26-2004 01:15 PM

I am a hunter who moved to a new area and have always tried to err on the side of caution when it comes to hunting on other's property, asking permission and always offering part of my kill to the owner when I got done, even if I know they will turn me down. This is based in part to an event opening weekend of pheasant season when I was a kid. Family and friends gathered and went to a favorite piece of land we owned and posted, only to find about a dozen guys and their dogs finishing their hunt of our property. I was about 10 and my dad confronted them and asked them who they "thought" gave them permission to hunt this ground. They told him that Burton (my grandfather) had a couple weeks back. My dad replied, "Well that's funny, he died over ten years ago." I never want to feel as low as I hope these guys did that day.

snowdog2 03-26-2004 03:44 PM

You know what, KSU--those guys probably never felt sorry or humiliated or low, from what I have learned about those types.

A good friend was saving a draw ACROSS THE ROAD from his farmplace for my son and I to hunt pheasants last fall. Posted all over the place with No Hunting signs. So the day before my son and I are going to hunt it, he sees four guys and their dogs in there, pushing 10s of birds and banging away. He races over there, and they ARGUE WITH HIM that they have the right to hunt there and that he is NOT THE LANDOWNER. He called the sheriff to have them arrested, but the sheriff was delayed, so the guys took off. THEY NEVER APOLOGIZED!! Needless to say, my friend was po'd, and even (get this) apologetic to my son and I when we got there the next day because these outlaws ruined our hunt. Time and again I hear stories like that from my landowner friends, and time and again they all tell the same story--the guys falsely claim they have permission, then challenge the landowner as to whether he owns the land when the landowner announces his ownership. NEVER do the guys apologize, share the birds, offer $ or otherwise appear remorseful. They just have been caught and are trying to lie their way out of their crime!!

I am SOOOOOO careful. I won't cross a fence or go out of bounds, let alone hunt where I know I have no permission. What is it with this bunch of outlaws?? Why do they think they have the right to hunt wherever they feel like??

DBaker 03-26-2004 06:58 PM

The simple fact is if he has killed his limit he should be done. Now if he is taking other people in there to hunt that is a different story. Personally landowners need to be upfront with hunters. For one the hunter was kind enough to ask to hunt instead of just going and hunting without asking. The least the landowner can do is be upfront. If you only want him to hunt one week, tell him. If he's allowed to hunt all year tell him. Personally when I ask to hunt a spot and the owner says yes and doesn't give me any time restrictions, I will hunt it throughout the season until the last day or until I shoot my limit. I hunted one farm farm and after the third time I hunted there, she left a note on my windshield saying that I was not welcomed back. I went to her house and asked her why and she said because she told me I could only hunt for one day, which she did not tell me. So I got kicked out of that spot, but I hunt the farm that backs up next to it which is bigger, so it didn't make a difference. Just goes to show not all the time it is the sportsman's fault. IN this case it is, but I have had my share of experiences like the one I just told which was not my fault. Another thing I do is ask if I can take a friend with me. Sometimes I might want to take my dad or my bud with me and most of the time it's not a problem as long as you are upfront. Hunters should be upfront to the landowners and vice versa.