HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   what not to do (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/56430-what-not-do.html)

st1 03-20-2004 10:20 AM

what not to do

me and my hunting buddy went this morning. got setup a little to late but the fog was thick so we were ok. surrounded by birds. they were sounding off everywhere until they flew down. i guess they weren't talkin on the ground becuase of the fog. had the dekes in a pasture, we're in the woods about 30 yds away and ol tom sneaks up to our left and spotted us. my bud tries to shoot thru a 6ft oak at the bird. didnt work out real good. . we figured that was it so we get up to take a look around and spook about 10 hens that were just over a rise. . we see a two toms fly down about 100 yds down a power line and head for the woods. we sit and try to call them. nothing out of those two but two more across the pasture start raising heck about 1/2 hr later. called and waited for about 45 mins. or so and they wouldn't budge so were going to sneak around the pasture closer to them and set up. they moved at the same time we did and we stepped right up on top of them when we got around the pasture. those birds are probly still running. i created new curse words this morning. since this is only my third season i'll chalk it up to lessons learned and thank God the season is two months long.

Charlie P 03-20-2004 11:08 AM

RE: what not to do

Patience kills Turkeys

kevin1 03-20-2004 11:34 AM

I'll be facing all the pitfalls you described for the very first time this year ,
thanks for pointing them out so that I can avoid doing the same .

JW 03-20-2004 03:22 PM

Well Charlie beat me to the punch.......Patience.......is the key word here!

All I can do is smile as been there done that comes to mind......that is how we learn!

I hate foggy mornings.......most times it makes the birds stay in da trees longer,,,

JW!

Gobbling Buck 03-20-2004 09:59 PM

Sounds like you and your buddy are doing the same things as me and my buddy. We've been busted twice so far this season.

totoe 03-21-2004 09:36 AM

....LOL....LOL...LOL.....LOL....turkeys win again...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Charlie P 03-23-2004 09:59 AM

It's humbling to know that an animal with a brain the size of your thumbnail can make you look stupid isn't it?[8D]:D;)

Doemasters 03-23-2004 10:53 AM

Hey man, they might be "stupid" but there is an equation to explain why it's hard to kill them:

(sneak into their bedroom + imitate a seductive mistress)/reverse nature & call him TO her - do all of this while being glassed by the binoculars that are a turkeys eyes = x advantage turkey