Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey hunting Story, Just thought I would share! >

Turkey hunting Story, Just thought I would share!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey hunting Story, Just thought I would share!

Old 03-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Turkey hunting Story, Just thought I would share!

We had known that there was Gobbler on the hill behind the cabin. We had hunted other birds for the first two days and figured we would try out luck on Tuesday morning of the first week of Pennsylvania's spring season in 2002. It was my brother in law Alan Manning a Good friend of mine Jay Montgomery and Myself. Jay and I had already harvested Nice gobblers, Jay on Saturday and I on Monday. Monday night we decided that we were going to go after the bird on the hill Tuesday morning and try to get capture the hunt on video with Alan shooting.
We got up at 3am Tuesday morning and started going over our equipment makig sure the camera was camoed enough and I making sure my mouth calls were ready for the mornings hunt. At 330am we headed up the hill for a our set up. If you think it's had to sneak thru the woods by youself you should try and sneak thru with 3 people and not bump the birds off roost. We finally got where we wanted to set up and sat down to wait for first light. As the Sun rose and the woods came to life we knew we were in the right spot or so we thought. There were birds all around with the closest one being in a tree 30 yards from us, it being a hen. The hen started soft tree calling and like thunder from the sky a Gobbler answered.
After awhile I heard the Gobbler fly down and then the hen flew down behind some tree tops. I started mimicing the hen with a alittle more excitement in my calling. After about 20 minutes I heard the Infamous pffffffttttttttttttttt Drummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I started searching the woods in the area that it came from and there were two gobblers strutting together about 50 yards out. I told Alan to get ready that they were coming. The Boss Gobbler when he fanned out had a distinctive white streak between two tail feathers and he just looked so regal in Strutt. He never presented us a shot and just walked off with the hens. We waited and then went to see where he had dropped down over the hill and planned our set up for the next morning.
3am the next morning and everyone was up quickly, you could feel the excitement and anticipation in the cabin. We all got camoed up and headed up the hill. We found the spot we had picked the day before and set up with any noise. The sky started to break and was broken with a Gobble that made yout sit up straight. I started my series of soft tree calls. He gobbled back with each call. I stopped calling and waited til I heard him fly down. I could hear the hen start her cutting series to him so I mimicked her but only a little louder and more excited. He was answering me with double and triple gobbles and was closing the distance rather quickly. When he got to about 60 yards I could hear him Drumming. I leaned over Al's shoulder and told him to get ready the bird was coming. At 40 yards he popped his head up over a small rise and was looking for the hen that was calling to him. I cutt to him one more time and he gobbled. He then started moving off to our left and behind a tree top that was on the ground, I lost sight of him just for a momemt. I called to him and he gobbled right back at me again. Just then a hen popped up over the rise and started walking to our calling position. I whispered to Al not to move because if she saw us she would take off and take the gobbler with her. I saw the gobbler on the left side of the tree tops now and he was looking directly at the hen and jake decoy which were only 7 steps from our set up. He moved back around the top and went into strutt. There was the unmistable white streak between two of his tail feathers. He looked like he was the same size as a VW bug. He walked briskly towards us closing the gap quickly. He passed the hen like he was on mission. He went directly to the jake decoy in full strutt and brushed it like to say I am the boss and you had better leave if you know what's good for you KID! I saw that AL was ready so I soft purred to him which made him raise his head. I said take him, Al shot and the Majestic King just flopped over and layed there. We all got up and ran to him and were awestruck as to the size of that bird. He was sporting an 11.5 inch beard and 1.5 inch spurs. We gave thanx for the oppurtunity to take such a magnificant bird.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey hunting Story, Just thought I would share!

Great story Pat,The way you described it I felt like I was almost there.Thanks for sharin it with us.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree , great story
Old 03-11-2004, 05:06 AM

Get ones blood pumping, great story, thanks for posting it.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 AM

That was a great post Pat. Can't hardly wait until Apr. 3 to hopefully have some of that excitement for myself. They're already gobbling pretty good here.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:53 AM

Very well written. Makes you feel like you are behind the sights yourself. Congrats.

Andy
Old 03-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

great story,that was a good one...i myself have taken one gobbler with alot of white
in the center of tailfan....
Old 03-11-2004, 07:33 PM

GREAT STORY!!!!! BUT READING THIS JUST KILLED ME SEASON DOES NOT OPEN TILL APRIL 21ST![:@][:'(][][:-] WELL I WILL GET OVER IT SOON I HOPE
Old 03-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

A well written story Pat. I would love to tell some stories here also but I get to be long winded

Our south zone here in Texas starts in 16 more sunsets!

doubleA

Quick Reply: Turkey hunting Story, Just thought I would share!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.