HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Need help with patterning an 870 Super Mag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/55494-need-help-patterning-870-super-mag.html)

Turkey-dog 03-10-2004 08:05 AM

Need help with patterning an 870 Super Mag

[:@]Here is my problem, I bought an 870 super mag for my wife this summer. I shot it with the factory turkey choke and might as well have been shooting modified (my modified tube actually shot better). I assumed there was something wrong with the factory tube so I went and bought a star dot tube. The star dot shot much better but still the only shells I can get it to pattern as well as they should are the cheap win. super x 3" shells in the grey box. The # 6's shoot as good or even better a pattern as I have ever seen but because of the lower velocity I don't trust them at the long range. The #4's have pleanty of energy but have marginal patterns at long ranges due to less shot. If they made a #5 in these shells my problems would be solved, but they don't.

Here is my question. Do any of you shoot a rem. 870 with the star dot, and if you do what shells do you get the best pattern from. Even if you don't shoot a star dot please tell me what choke/shell combo you use in your 870. Thanks.

Martin Cougar 03-10-2004 09:03 AM

RE: Need help with patterning an 870 Super Mag

I don't shoot an 870 but do have a comment on the shells.

I believe #6's should serve you well. Remington Premier Magnums #6's pattern the best out of my Mossberg and I have no problem taking a far shot.

If they pattern the best - I'd go with them. Not sure what distance you are making reference to about "trusting at long range". Just know the distance that you are comfortable with and pass on anything farther.

Martin Cougar 03-10-2004 09:04 AM

One more thing - there is another thread on here about "Wanting a better pattern". It talks about polishing the barrel - it may be worth looking at.

Turkey-dog 03-10-2004 09:47 AM

When I say long range I'm talking in the 50 yd range. I've also shot #6's for years but on occasion Iv'e had turkeys get away at 45 yards when I knew the pattern was there. They acted as if they were almost knocked out (running into things and flying funny) so I assumed they were hit in the head but the pellets didn't penetrate. When I switched to HV shells I never had this problem again. I now shoot HV # 5's in my 835 and have done excellent. I would just feel much more confident if I could find a HV #6 or a #5 load that would shoot well out of my wifes gun. And just in case you were wondering, no I don't shoot at extreme ranges all of the time. I like my shots inside of 40 yards but I want my gun to be as deadly as possible when my (or my wife's) super duper rangefinding eyes fail.[:@]

LAHUNTER 03-10-2004 10:48 AM

I have an 870 supermag and had trouble finding a good choke/shell combination. I tried the patternmaster, star dot, ventilator with different size shot and brand shells. My gun didn't seem to like any of the combinations that I tried until I tried the mad max choke with win high velocity 3.5" #6's. My gun likes this combo alot. You have to try differnt chokes/shells until you find the right one. I know it gets really expensive real quick. Maybe you could try to find a friend with the same gun so ya'll could swap chokes and shells.

MSgobblergetter 03-10-2004 11:50 AM

If you are talking about Win. Double-X Magnum in the grey box, they do make #5's. In both high velocity and Double-X loads. Walmart and any other sporting goods store should carry them. These are what I shoot out of my Stoeger 2000 shotgun.

WANWTF 03-10-2004 12:01 PM

have you tried the 4/6 combo?

Turkey-dog 03-10-2004 12:56 PM

It is not the Double X it is the super x ( the cheaper version). And I have polished the bore but it didn't help any.[:'(]

struttin tom0784 03-10-2004 01:41 PM

870 super mag + Hevi-shot shells (shot 5) + Rem. Hevi-shot choke tube = dead turkey.

I shoot a 870 Super mag, and i have that Remington hevishot choke tube and the hevi shot shells and it patterns beautifly. I get good patterns at 40yds. Give that a try.

Turkey-dog 03-10-2004 03:19 PM

870 super mag + Hevi-shot shells (shot 5) + Rem. Hevi-shot choke tube = dead turkey

Hevi shot shoots well out of my choke, but the pattern is so tight that my wife sometimes misses at long ranges. What size pattern does your setup shoot at 40 Yds?