Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Over 560,000 Acres Appalachicola National Forest Were do I Start???!!! >

Over 560,000 Acres Appalachicola National Forest Were do I Start???!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Over 560,000 Acres Appalachicola National Forest Were do I Start???!!!

Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Over 560,000 Acres Appalachicola National Forest Were do I Start???!!!

Hi Ya'll
I am goin down to hunt turks on the Swannee River outside of White Springs on opening day and then its over to Appalchicola National Forest during the week. I have never hunted the Appalachicola !!! Anybody out there have any helpful hints about a good area too start lookin for that pesky old tom!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:12 AM

Default RE: Over 560,000 Acres Appalachicola National Forest Were do I Start???!!!

What a vast amount of terrain that is! I've never hunted there, but would like to hear what your experience turns out to be. There are many helpful individuals on internet discussion boards that readily share their tactics and provide useful information in respect to turkey hunting. However, the exchange of information generally does not extend to providing detailed information on favorite spots. I do not suspect an experienced Appalachicola National Forest hunter to reply to this thread with precise GPS loactions of that big elusive boss gobbler. The best advice I can give you is to do a search on an internet search engine and you should be able to get a general idea as to where to start.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:35 PM

Default RE: Over 560,000 Acres Appalachicola National Forest Were do I Start???!!!

There are turkeys in that swamp, but with all of the rain that my Mother says that they have been getting it will be wet. Where are you planning tp in that area. I have squirel hunted in the swamp, and fished the river. I will try to help if you are in the area that I know.

Robert
Old 03-08-2004, 08:12 AM

I live on the eastern edge of the Forest and have been hunting the section East of the Ochlochnee river about 4 years. The still hunt area along the Ochlochnee river between Smith Creek Rd and the river is a good area. If you have a map, check out these areas. The area between roads 355 and 320
on both sides of Smith Creek road tend to hold birds. GEt a Topo map and locate the hardwood ravines as the birds tend to roost over these.
You will also find birds along Freeman Creek.
There are birds scattered everywhere but if you concentrate on the major
Creeks and Ravines you should be able to find some.
I killed my bird last year just north of 355 near the Bradwell Bay Wilderness area.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 PM

I live and hunt in Tallahassee so I have been there many times and my best advice for you is to still hunt along the river and find creeks that cut inland. I always see plenty of turkey along waterways. If you go to myfwc.com they have maps you can download, a good spot would be to find Pine Creek Landing campground then find the boat ramp right there and follow the river there for a few miles.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

Usingthe great info already posted above check out the S. and E. facing ravines near water in those areas. Sounds like you have a great area and a lot of help.