HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Want a better pattern? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/55084-want-better-pattern.html)

Bigsmooth35 03-05-2004 04:16 PM

Want a better pattern?

I was very sceptical of this method last year when I tried it. I wasn't going to but it only cost about $3.oo so I figured I couldn't lose. First thing you need to do is get some scotch brite the green stuff by 3m (other brands fall apart to quickly). Then by yourself the blue stuff made for finishing metal or the no scratch stuff. You must have a drill to do this though. Next if you have a twelve gauge you get out the wire brush made to clean out the twelve gauge. You cut the scotch brite to wrap around the brush once and then just a little extra (youll see why in a sec). Then you need to get some solvent oil or I just use wd-40. Wrap the scotch brite around the wire brush and apply a liberal amount of the oil to the scotch brite and I also spray some down the barrel. The brush should be attached the cleaning rods so it will reach the length of the barrell. I then attached the end in the drill chuck and tightened it down. No you must start slow but try to ease the scotch brite down the barrell (starting at the trigger end). This is where the little extra scotch brite will help as you power the drill the scotch brite will start spinning and the little extra flap will keep the pad tight to the brush. Then you get it goin and I did this for about 5 minutes with the green, put a new green pad on and go for 5 more minutes. Then put on the finishing pads and do that for about 5 minutes. While your doing this make sure to work it up and down the length of the barrel, Also apply oil as needed (the barrel does become a little warm but the oil will help reduce this. You may want to do this outside and junky clothes on because it creates a bit of a mess.
Now clean your barrell like you normally would. Take a look down your barrel and it will be as smooth as glass. If not continue drilling. When it is completley shiny go re-pattern your gun you should be pleasently suprised how much polishing your barrel can help out a turkey pattern. I got 25% more lead in the 10" circle @35 yrd just by doing this simple little technique. I believe the reasoning behind this working is that when the manufacturer makes the barrel they dont do a very good job of polishing it out. Now I didn't invent this I seen it somewhere last year but I STRONGLY RECCOMEND it. I was impressed now I dont have a doubt when I enter the woods the pattern will be there.

Turkey Addict 03-05-2004 04:52 PM

RE: Want a better pattern?

Thanks for the heads up on that Bigsmooth35. I will be giving my barrel the teatment in a few weeks.

Thanks

Jerry

Bigsmooth35 03-05-2004 05:04 PM

I forgot to tell you I have an 835 so it is overbored and easily alows the pad and wire brush combo to enter the barrel. If you have a gun (12 ga) that is not overbored you may need to use a 20 gauge wire brush to allow for enough room to get the pad in the barrel. It should fit very snuggly.

hcurt 03-05-2004 05:33 PM

This has also been posted on a thread before saying to do it with 0000 steel wool. I tried it with the steel wool and I had problem with it sliding up off the brush and going up the rod. It worked pretty good though. I guess the scotch brite isn't to course? I may try it again with the scotch brite.

totoe 03-06-2004 03:45 AM

..hey friend,to me this is a ole shooting match trick.0000 steel wool is what i use
with a metel polish..Blitz,metel glo,maas,all sold at hardwhare stores,shine to a
smooth surface,also makes for easy barrel cleaning after shot,and not to worry
you wont remove enough metel to hurt a thing...:eek:

strut 03-06-2004 10:12 AM

Do you guys do this with your choke screwed in or not? Totoe told me about this last year I just did'nt get around to doing it, I think I will give it a try this year, Thanks for the info.

Bigsmooth35 03-06-2004 11:36 AM

I pass throuhg my choke maybe only 3 times with green pad and twice with finishing pad. I dont feel that the scotch brite can do much but polish it. The scotch brite is extrmley soft when you think about how hard the metal used in your choke is. So to answer your question I do pass it through the choke juist not very much compared to the barrel. The only thing I hate about it is I have a ported comp-n-choke and some of the scotch brite decides to go in the ports then I spend a little bit of time claning the ports out(an air compressor made this quicker than going through each port)

maytom 03-07-2004 10:52 PM

I've heard of this method before as well, but never actually tried it. Looks like I'll have to get this done before the season rolls around!!;)

Turkey-dog 03-08-2004 12:57 PM

I polished my barrel out this year and for what it is worth, here are my results.

40 yds. Before
Vital (spine and skull) .................... 2
Head and Neck ............................. 44
Whole page (10in. by 10 in.)........... 95

40yds. after
Vital ............................................. 7
H&N............................................. . 37
Whole page .................................. 119

60 Yds Before
Vital ............................................. 2
H&N ............................................. 13
Whole page .................................. 29

60 Yds After
vital ............................................ 4
H&N ............................................ 13
Whole Paper ................................ 36

Even thongh the head and neck hits stayed the same or went down, my vital hits and over all pellets went up which shows that it is a better, more even pattern. At both distances my overall pellet count went up 25%.:D

MSgobblergetter 03-08-2004 08:09 PM

Well I did the polishing on both of my turkey gun barrels today. Remington 870 Super Mag and Benelli Super 90. I don't really know if the results on the pattern paper is going to be better, but they sure are shiny and smooth. I mean a mirror finish. I post the pattern results later this week.