Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Want a better pattern?

Old 03-14-2004, 10:19 AM

Default RE: Want a better pattern?

Just having a little fun, BIG. I personally am thankful for the good tip.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:52 PM

Yeah I know was all said in good fun and glad that it worked out for ya
Old 03-15-2004, 10:00 AM

I couldn't find any blue pads, so I used the green scotchbrite pads for my first run through and then used some 0000 steel wool for cleanup. This is on my new Mossberg 935, and when I used the green scotchbrite, there were visible metal flakes on the scotchbrite pad after I had scrubbed with the drill for a while. The barrel is all shiny inside, now, and I'm looking forward to seeing if I get any pattern improvement from this. I'll post the patterning results when I get through patterning the gun, probably not until next weekend, though.

With the oil for lubrication and the drill spinning and all, it is a messy job, as reported.

Before I did this, I called several gunsmiths. They all had experience polishing the inside of "old" (pitted) barrels, but none had ever heard of polishing the inside of a new, seemingly perfectly good barrel. They all quoted prices of in the $50-65 range to polish the barrel for me, so I decided to do it myself.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Yeah after doing it myself , I would do it for that , and consider it easy money !
Thanks Bigsmooth for the detailed instructions and the savings $$$
Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have bought the material to try this method I will let ya'll know how it does for me.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:52 PM

Big, I have been shooting shotguns for about 30 years, and that is the first time I have heard of doing something like that to a perfectly good barrel, but it sounds like a great tip. I will be trying it very soon. I have tried a very similar trick to slick up the chambers of an old double barrel I use for cowboy action matches, so I am sure it will help as you are describing. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I just wanted to say that this works awesome! I had an old slug barrel that was pitted really bad, I did this too it and it looks like a brand new barrel. I didn't use the blue stuff I just used the green and still had very good results.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:23 PM

The Nitro Ammo arrived , waiting on the Rhino choke . Then I will go to the range and test the "Mirror polished barrel " with Winchester ammo , then the Nitro ammo and then with the Rhino !
My poor shoulder .
Old 03-24-2004, 10:46 PM

Hey roman let me know the results I'm kinda keepin track on how this works out for everyone.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:51 AM

I'm still playing around with my gun, but I had 93 pellets in a 10" circle @40 yards. The previous year I had 70-80 if I recall correctly. I also did notice that once the barrel is polished, it is much easier to clean. Bottom line: I don't think it will hurt.

Winchester 1300. 21" w/ Kicks .655. Winchester HV 3" #6.

Quick Reply: Want a better pattern?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.