Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Want a better pattern?

Old 03-08-2004, 09:41 PM

Default RE: Want a better pattern?

Yeah everyone that has done this please post your results . I am interested if this will help all the stock barrels. Like I said In a ten inch circle I gained 25% more pattern and there are absolutley no holes in the pattern.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:08 AM

I don't get what the "blue stuff made for finishing metal or the no scratch stuff" is. Is this a scotch brite pad, too, or is it some kind of paste or such?

And when you say "Then put on the finishing pads and do that for about 5 minutes" are you talking about "blue stuff or no scratch stuff" pads or are there some other scotch brite finishing pads you're talking about or is this a paste?

How thick are these pads, and where would I get some?

Sorry I'm asking what probably are pretty stupid questions to you, but I've never heard of scotch brite.

Thanks, though, as I do want to try this myself.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:18 AM

yeah the blue pads are also a scoth brite pad. My local wal mart sells the blue pads which simply say no scratch (non-heavy duty). But my local hardware store sell scotch brite metal finishing pads. So yes both of those are a 3m brand scoth brite.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:04 PM

Thanks. I'll go to the hardware store and see what they have.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:09 PM

Bigsmooth35,
I found the green scotchbrite but can't find the blue one . The barrel in my 1300 really shines like a mirror now. Is it critical to finish it off with the blue one ?
I did see othe types of scotchbrite but it wasn't for polishing metal, just removing rust etc..

Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:57 PM

roman,
yeah the green is good enough. Thats all I used last year to acheive the 25%. I just found the blue stuff this year at walmart and it said no scratch and was a little softer so I used it this year just to see, and in all reality the pattern didnt improve much if any with the blue stuff. Hey have any of you got to shoot your guns yet?
Old 03-13-2004, 04:08 PM

Update......

As I posted previously, I did the polishing technique on both my 870 Super Mag and Benelli Super 90.

870 - I patterned both guns today. I shoot 3 1/2" Rem Hevi-shot 6's in my 870. All I can say is, the 870 will be my long distance turkey gun. Last year this gun with same choke and load would put upwards of 25 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards. This year, after the polish, I shot the 870 with same choke and load at 47 yards. The pattern was more uniform than I have ever seen from this gun. I counted 43 pellets in the head and neck and only 10 outside the 12" circle!

Benelli - I shoot Fed 3" HV 4's from this gun. Last year I was doing good to get 10 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards. This year, after polish, same choke and load, I counted 22 pellets in the head and neck. ONLY 7 PELLETS OUTSIDE THE 12" CIRCLE AND THEY WERE ONLY AN INCH OR SO FROM THE EDGE OF THE 12" OUTLINE! I have always had trouble with my guns shooting 4's. Not anymore.

And Yes, I'm a Happy Man!!

Thanks a million for the tip!!
Old 03-13-2004, 09:39 PM

Clever...So which one of you works for 3M?
Old 03-14-2004, 09:43 AM

That would be Bigsmooth.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:17 AM

Hey come on now. Just tryin to save ya'll some time and money and stay away from the cheap stuff (that didnt make it for more than 30 seconds and shredded everywhere).

Quick Reply: Want a better pattern?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.