Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How far will they move from roosting area? >

How far will they move from roosting area?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How far will they move from roosting area?

Old 02-27-2004, 01:38 PM

Default How far will they move from roosting area?

I will be hunting public land and am wondering how far will a turkey travel from the area he was roosting in overnight? I know it probably depends on how many encounters he has with us humans and so on, but does it make sense to hang around these areas doing some soft calling? Especially later in the morning when things die down a bit, I would think this could work. Or do they travel too far each day to make this effective.

PS. Saw 8 gobblers together the other day, and I got the fever!

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:42 PM

Default RE: How far will they move from roosting area?

Getting close to roosting areas is definetly smart because the turks will defintely be in that general area. In the spring though the gobblers are usually gonna be on the move following the hens wherever they lead, and in the early few hours thats gonna be to feed. Then the hens will go to nest and the gobblers are gonna be lonely lookin for company and thats where the hunter can take advantage. If you have a roosting area to go to, start there with some soft calling. If you get no response get louder and if after a while still nothing....Get on the move running and gunning lookin for a lonely tom. I hope this helps a little.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:29 PM

When i roost birds the night before most all the time the next morning they are in the same spot within 50 yards or so, but even where i hunt they usually roost in the same general area in season and alot of times from year to year too.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:26 AM

I totally agrre w/ what wholelottagoble said. If you know where there roosting you are in the best set up. you do want to get close ,but not to close to be seen. also, try to sneek a couple of decoys out to help draw them close. definately use soft calling. you dont wanna freak 'em out w/ a loud call that close.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!