Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

uphill or downhill???

Old 02-27-2004, 12:46 PM

Default uphill or downhill???

This will be my first year turkey hunting. The farm that I will hunt has a bunch of turkey, but I have noticed that they are either on one side of a gully or the other. should I set up on the top of one of the hills or should I set up on the bottom? in other words, would a turkey move uphill or downhill easier???

beej
Old 02-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: uphill or downhill???

If the toms are hot & ready, they'll come a running. I've read in a few places that many hunters have slightly better success when calling to downhill toms. I hunt some pretty slanted terrain, but the last spring bird I harvested came downhill towards me.
I'd guess that good patterning of the the flock you're hunting should be a concern before worry too much about uphill vs downhill.
Get out there, and call to 'em. If they, they come. If they come in range, take 'em.
The turkeys have the PhD's and I'm just a dummy in the back row.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:34 PM

I believe it is a huge mistake to set up downhill from a gobbler thats already on the ground. I live the the mountains and everybody around here knows better than to do that. Being on the same level or a little above will definetly increase your chances. I am sure turkeys have been called downhill but I know a ton have refused to...including a couple that have done so to me unfortunately.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:37 PM

I know the old adage turkeys will not come down hill but as the othes said is true when a gobbler is hot he is coming know matter what even if it is across the creek or through fences or whatever it don't matter when he is ready period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:13 PM

I'm fairly new to hunting turkeys too. I have heard that its easier to call a gobbler up hill. The reason I heard is that if he suspects some thing bad its easier for him to turn around and run or fly back down the hill. I don't know how true that is, but I have heard this.

Chad
Old 02-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

You can call a turkey anywhere he wants to go. Sometimes it is downhill others it maybe uphill. I believe if you get on the hill level with him I have never had negative results. Find those roost trees in the morning and get 100 yards on the same elevation. If he is on the ground already give your best guess as to his easiest route to you and once again at least get even with him. I have had some success calling even and moving to a hill top opening or field. I have seen hens do this so I tried it and it works well. Once again, you can call turkeys uphill or downhill he just has to want to go there.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always heard that it is hard to get a Tom to come down hill. I believe that it might be harder that getting one to come up hill but it can be done.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to set-up above him. Turkeys like to be able to run--or fly--downhill if they encounter danger and will be much more apt to come to your unseen calling if heading uphill. I've been successful in harvesting only one gobbler that I called in from above me. Most have been below or on the same plane.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have found that calling a Tom up hill is more likely to happen then trying to call him down the hill. I agree that if he really wants to come, he will regardless of where you are, but if you can, plan your set up above him. I think you'll enjoy greater success.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

In most cases its easier for the bird to see down hill than up because of the uneveness of the terrain,this attributes alot to why the bird will not commit to easy gunrange coming downhill.They pinpoint sound to within a matter of yards and if he cant see her they can and will get suspicious!Hasty set-ups create bad set-ups,take the time to get on the same ridge they are or at least on the same plane or slighty above them!

Quick Reply: uphill or downhill???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.