Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I'm Going out on youth turkey hunting Day >

I'm Going out on youth turkey hunting Day

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I'm Going out on youth turkey hunting Day

Old 02-13-2004, 06:42 PM

Default I'm Going out on youth turkey hunting Day

I'll be taking a youngster out on NJ youth hunting day which is the first Saturday before the official season opening. In previous years, we've got them to respond to my calls, but couldn't get anything to come into range. Maybe this will be the lucky year. Any ideas on how to maximize this opportunity as there are very few hunters in the woods and the birds have not been pressured by other hunters. I'm a relatively inexperienced turkey hunter with a Jake being only bird I have ever harvested or called in. The longbeard has proven to be elusive for me.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm Going out on youth turkey hunting Day

NJ,First off I'd like to say i think it's great you're takin a younster out.I sure wish ya luck.As for callin in a longbeard,It's really no diffrent than bringin in a jake.Everybody has a trick or two up their sleeve but if you stick to the basics the longbeards will come.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm Going out on youth turkey hunting Day

I also think its great your taking this opportunity to take a youngster to the woods,and wish you the best of luck!Jim gives great advice.Early season gobblers may be pretty henned up in fact in alot of cases across the U.S. you still have flocks trying to establish a pecking order primarily gobblers establishing dominance!This has been the only time of the year that a decoy consistently works for me,keying in on that jealousy factor during this early time of year!I use a jake decoy with a couple of hens and have had on many occasions 4 to 5 longbeards practically run in with bad intentions on my jake decoy!Great show for a youngster if things work out!Once again good luck NJ...hope it helps!!