HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Camo Tape (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/52373-camo-tape.html)

bucks4me 02-08-2004 05:32 PM

Camo Tape

With the new Tapes on the market that claim that theyare safe for gun finishes, is it worth useing on a regular Win.1300

also will one roll do it? and how about that kit from H.S. Strut for $20.00
I'd do it if these are finish friendly and could hide me better from a sharped-eye Tom.

Gobbling Buck 02-08-2004 07:15 PM

RE: Camo Tape

I had the same concern last year. I did not go with the camo tape. Instead, I got the gun sock (about $3) from Walmart. It worked well, the only problem I had with it, was it was made from fabric and I didn't like getting the dew on it and having a wet gun. Which will also affect the finish. As far as concelment, the gun sock worked good.

bucks4me 02-08-2004 07:58 PM

I saw the sock. is the sock slippery and hard to grip onto the gun?

Gobbling Buck 02-08-2004 09:25 PM

Not really if you will do a couple simple things. I took some camo duct tape and put it around the sock at the end of the forearm. I also used some around the top of the stock after stretching the sock tight. This helps keep it all tight. After I cut out around the ejection port, I folded some tape around the edges to create a "seam" so it would be smooth. I did the same thing at the loading port. Then I took a neoprene stock shell holder and put around my stock to hold the sock in place. All of this worked pretty good. I'd be using it again this year, but I bought an 835 ultimag. My gun I used last year didn't have 3" or 3.5" capability and like I stated previously, I didn't like getting the dew on the sock and having my gun stay wet for a while. The dew usually dried before the end of the hunt, but rain.........and my grandpa gave me the gun 25yrs ago and it still looks new and I don't take a lot of chances with it.

One other thing worth mentioning, after shooting the gun several times, the sock had holes burned into it at the gas port at the end of my forearm. May just be my model gun, I don't know. A buddy of mine was using an 1100 Rem and didn't have the problem. But he didn't shoot as much as I did either.:D

.308 Swar 02-09-2004 12:14 AM

I used the tape and have no probs with it. It peels right off with no residue on the gun. I got mine in the turkey section at wal-mart...it is like 3.50. IF you get the tape wet dont leave it on the gun it will rust the hell out of it. but if you dont plan on hunting in alot of rainy weather it is cheap and works great.

Brampton Mike 02-09-2004 03:44 AM

:D IJ've had my 870 pump gun dressed out in Camo Duct tape for teh last 5 years with no problems....comes off easily & very easy to fix any worn or ripped areas!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Brampton Mike [8D]

paintbrush 02-09-2004 05:45 AM

I also have used the tape. Have had no problems with it. Just make sure to take it off after your season is over and give the gun a good wipe down.

jepcho 02-09-2004 07:06 AM

I have never used it because I was always afraid it would leave that filmy stuff on my gun. If these guys say it wont however....give it a try and let us know what you think.

bucks4me 02-09-2004 08:17 PM

Thanx for all your input. Hummmm.Tape or sock...think I'll try the the sock with some tape. Will experiment. any one try the new tape kit from H.S.Strut for $20.00? Thanx again!

.308 Swar 02-10-2004 12:26 AM

any one try the new tape kit from H.S.Strut for $20.00?
Bucks, I dont know about the HS strut kit but i do know for about 8 bucks from the camo tape ( not camo duct tape, it is real tree tape) in the hunting section at wal mart does a fine job. here is a pic of my 870 done with the tape from there...it looks great and sure beats paying 20 bucks..