Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Trip to SE Ohio

Old 02-15-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Trip to SE Ohio

Took a trip down to SE Ohio to visit the landowners who let me hunt and make sure it's ok to hunt again. As expected, all said yes and one landowner even informed me of another 100 acres he owns about 3 miles from his house. He gave me directions and I found it. Boy does it look nice. Going down in another week or two and walk over it and see if I see any sign and how the land lays. With that farm we have 8 spots for this spring, might try and get another one or two before season.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trip to SE Ohio

DB,thats what i call successful scouting,congrats to you for the good effort!Now when we goin???
Old 02-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats DB.You can never have to many huntin spots.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:16 AM

Jalvaja,
Well put. Some of my friends say, "You don't need anymore spots." I feel you can never have too many spots. I don't like to pressure the same farm day after day. If I work a bird 2-3 days in a row and don't get him, I'll give him a rest and try him again later and hit another farm for some fresh birds. That's why I like having different spots to hunt. When I first started turkey hunting all I hunted was my families 100 acres. I would hunt that several days a week. Yeah I killed birds, but they also became very wise to me. Now I have 8 different farms to hunt on giving me almost 800 acres to roam on, and I hope to add a few more here in the next few weeks when I go back down. I don't lease land, I just knock on doors and ask to turkey hunt. If they let me hunt I always buy them atleast one gift a year, usually two. I buy them a gift right before season and usually one when I am down deer hunting our farm in the fall. I can also fall turkey hunt everyone of these farms too. So being nice to landowners and coming off some $ to let them know you appreciate what they are doing for you does go a long way. What I do since most of the people who let me hunt are older is I buy them fresh fruit baskets. Yes it gets too be a little pricey at $10 a pop, but they really enjoy it. Little things go a long ways.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats exactly what I mean by successful scouting DB....we talk all the time on board here about gear,strategy,and what not but before we can put any of those subject to use we need a legite place to start!Well worth the time and money DB,once again nice job!!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Db, I'm like you.It costs a few dollars but it's money well spent.I also give the farmers my phone # and let them know if they ever need a hand to give me a call.