Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Pics Of a slate over glass i just finished >

Pics Of a slate over glass i just finished

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pics Of a slate over glass i just finished

Old 02-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pics Of a slate over glass i just finished

Them are some good lookin' calls for sure. I'm thinking of trying to make my own too. What kind of tools do you need to do it from scratch?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:11 AM

.308, Is that slate call you made very loud? It seems that most of the slate calls I have aeren't loud enough to reach out to that gobbler very far off. About how long did it take you to make that call? Did you use the 3/4" SAE Washer in the bottom?
Huntin, It is a great call. I think it is very loud, i can get it to sing very loud or tone it down with some nice soft clucks and purrs. I used the washer in the bottom. I am still impressed with it, i cant put it down . It didnt take long at all to make. The longest part was letting the poly dry so i could sand it and put another coat on it. I put 4 coats on it.

Gobblin,
You dont need any tools to make it all you need is sand paper, some good glue ( ie liquid nails), some polyurethane. Guys, dont let it fool ya it is so easy to make, i promiss that. I ejoyed it so much i have 3 more calls on the way to make.
let me know if i can help ya, i will do my best
Old 02-09-2004, 02:47 PM

This has been a grea set of postes. I have made my own box calls but now am capable of making my own slate call. What a great resource for those of use new to this custom work!! Thanks guys and great looking calls.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im fixing to start making a call also. But I'm going a differnt route. Im machining an aluminum pot instead of wood. Gives me somethimg to do while learning at the same time at work.

here is a forum at Custom Call Online.
most of the questions everybody has has all ready been answered there.
Coustom Calls online forum
Old 02-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

.308, did you get my e-mail? I ordered a black walnut pot, slate surface, and a glass sound board from Custom Sawings this afternoon, so I'd like to get some specific info about how you did the marking on the bottom and a few other tidbits. If you could shoot me an e-mail at [email protected], I'd really appreciate it. If I can put one together that looks half as good as yours, I'll be very happy. I want one of the Zebra wood and/or Padouk pots on my next order if this one turns out good. I can't wait until my order gets here, so I can start playing with it.