Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 would you take a chance on this hunt? informal poll 4u >

would you take a chance on this hunt? informal poll 4u

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

would you take a chance on this hunt? informal poll 4u

Old 02-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default would you take a chance on this hunt? informal poll 4u

Just looking for some opinions on this.. I have always wanted to guide, for most anything. Usually, I can put someone on the game they wish to go for, it may not always be a trophy, but it will be the animal/fish they are after. Having said this, I have taken a Maine guide and his son turkey hunting for the past two years, they have harvested one jake, blown chances on others. ( one was a beautiful, 10"+ tom, king of his hill) Very, very rarely do I not find them, and friends, game. He has been hunting in N.Y. for birds in the past, and when asked, said that my hunt blew the established guide away, even though they didn't always harvest a bird hunting with me. Now, I don't call for him, just provide the location/birds, maybe an occasional call I guess, but usually I let him do that so if he blows up the calling, it's his fault, not mine. Now, just an informal poll, how many of you would/have done hunts like this before, and what did it cost/ what would you pay, per day( he stayed with me, we used my vehicle, but would not let someone else stay with me, two kids now)
Old 02-04-2004, 05:51 PM

Default RE: would you take a chance on this hunt? informal poll 4u

I've never used a guide for turkey but I am friends with a few.

One charges $150/day in SC but hunts public land and he provides lodging

Being honest I wouldn't pay more than that with no lodging and calling myself unless you're talking other subspecies.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Mailman,I've never used a paid guide either.When I hunt outta state it's with a friend from that area then when they come here I show them around.This works real well as it lets me hunt alot of diffrent places that normally I wouldn't be able to afford.As to what to charge,Again like Mailman said I would think the $150 range sounds about right.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

actually, jalvja, that's pretty much what happened between the guide and i.. we have become friends, and when he wants to hunt here, he gives me a call, and when i want to hunt bear, i get first choice of when i want to come up. we also talk throughout the year probably 2-3 times a month at least. now i am trying for a maine turkey permit by drawing, just in hopes of drawing one before him. and the best thing, is that he has put me in for being his second if( crossing my fingers) he were to get a moose permit for up there. the only other reason i don't call the birds for anyone but me is because i need more practise calling, lots more i think. then again, the birds do call back, and get shot, so maybe i don't do too bad. also, regarding price, you can only hunt untill noon in vt, but it is seven days a week for 30 days.