HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   New Turkey hunter needs help w/ equipment (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/51786-new-turkey-hunter-needs-help-w-equipment.html)

kyhuntsman 02-03-2004 09:14 AM

New Turkey hunter needs help w/ equipment

All,

I want to try my hand at turkey hunting this year and need some advice on equipment and such.

1) I currently have a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge shotgun that shoots 2 3/4" shells, how well will this work? I do not have the money to buy a new shotgun at this time.

2) Do I need to get a different choke tube? If so, what do you recommend?

3) What type of shells do you recommend?

4) As a new comer, what types of calls do you recommend?

5) What brands of calls do you recommend?

Thanks!
Matt

Young Buck 76 02-03-2004 02:05 PM

RE: New Turkey hunter needs help w/ equipment

Matt DON'T START IT'S WORSE THAN CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your gun will be ok as for call start with any call you feel comfortable with. Choke tubes differ in price and so forth i use a super full rem choke myself. I use reminton shells #5 shot. I know this isn't very helpful but it's the best I can offer you.

6pt125lbs 02-03-2004 09:07 PM

try these shells there called 4X6's by remington they have 4 shot and 6 shot so theyll get the job done im pretty for sure they got em for 2 3/4 so that should be good for ur gun try to get a Xtra full choke for ur gun if it doesnt already have one and on calls get out there and try em im going to get the sweet hen by knight and hale its a slate for 10 bucks at bass pro they say it is pretty smoth get famierler with the calls as much as u can hope any of what i said will help you to bag a bird if ur gonna turkey hunt sign up in the contest just post ur name and ur in [:-]:D;) good luck and safe shootin
Joe Smith

elksniper 02-03-2004 09:24 PM

Like others said it is very addicting but ypu will have lots of fun don't be surprised if you don't see any turkeys but know that they will have seen you. that being said roost them at night and get there an hourm earlier than you think you should. scout scout and scout as soon as you find them you got 90% done the only thing left is to call use anything you can practice with and make sure you sound like a turkey even if all you get is a couple of clucks or yelps it doesn't take much if you are where the turkeys want to be. your set up with the gun will be plenty make sure you know your pattern and what range you are good to shot size is a metter of preference i am sure that alot of turkeys get killed every year with 71/2 and 8's. If you got the money a decoy helps if only buying one make sure its a hen.

RIStrutStopper 02-03-2004 10:13 PM

Got my first bird with a 2 3/4" Winchester magnum turkey load with #4 shot out of my 870 express. Are you sure your gun won't handle 3" loads? My gun is >20 years old and it doesn't have magnum stamped on the receiver. The barrel is stamped use 3" shells in magnum receivers and 2 3/4" shells in all others. For the longest time, I didn't think I could shoot 3" shells, but found out on the Remington web site that if the last character in your serial number is an M, then its a magnum and you can shoot 3" Anyway, you should probably shoot different loads out of extra full chokes to see what patterns best out of your gun.

As for calls, I'd try to learn a couple of friction calls first. A great call to start with is Knight and Hale's Ol' Yeller. Sounds great and easy to use.

Hope some of this helps

Brampton Mike 02-04-2004 02:40 AM

ORIGINAL: kyhuntsman

All,

I want to try my hand at turkey hunting this year and need some advice on equipment and such.

1) I currently have a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge shotgun that shoots 2 3/4" shells, how well will this work? I do not have the money to buy a new shotgun at this time.

2) Do I need to get a different choke tube? If so, what do you recommend?

3) What type of shells do you recommend?

4) As a new comer, what types of calls do you recommend?

5) What brands of calls do you recommend?

Thanks!
Matt

:D Matt....warning you will become addicted!!!!!!!!!!!! I use an 870 pump gun with an Undertaker Choke in it & Winchester 3" 1 3/4oz. #6 High Velocity Turkey Loads & they work great in my gun...try a that load & if it does not pattern well at 35 - 40 yards try something else till you get a load that works good in your gun!!!!!!!!! ;) Brampton Mike [8D]

kyhuntsman 02-04-2004 09:49 AM

Thanks for all of your help guys, I truly appreciate it!

I'll get out and pattern some of the different loads mentioned in this post.

Keep the recommendations coming!!!
Matt

jepcho 02-04-2004 02:33 PM

While 2 3/4" shells may be considered small when it comes to turkey...they have been getting the job done for many people for quiet a while. I would go get a turkey choke. TruGlo makes a couple of good ones. One being the Gobbler Stopper. Get one that will handle Hevi Shot and shoot Hevi Shot #6's. First off get a box call. It doesn't really matter which one. Once you get efficient with that....get a slate call. I really like Knight and Hale's Ol' Yeller. I think it sounds super real. Get 1 or 2 of them and once you think you're fairly efficient then you are good to go. You can try using mouth calls. Buy a few different brands and try to get one that fits your mouth best. Quaker Boy works best for me. But a box call is the easiest to use and maybe the realest sound. Hopefully the hens will be talking and you can mimic them. If you have any other questions feel free to email me. And good luck this spring!!