Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Which choke?

Old 02-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which choke?

Wish I did , I would spell better ...BT
Old 02-03-2004, 09:50 PM

heh....me too

i was just wondering juz here in brantford at a high school i just graduated from this year my favorite teacher was Trevor Hare and he knew some stuff about hunting....maybe hes a cousin of yers eh?

anyone know where i might be able to get a good used choke?

i want one that shoots super tight patterns with #5's as well as #4 up to 00 buck

thx

ch312
Old 02-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe I would shoot 00 buck from a Turkey restricted choke. The restriction is much to tight for the larger pellet size excite right. There are a number of things that can be done to a tukey gun, like 1/ Forcing Cone lenghtened. 2/ Have the barrel polished will also help with the pattern for the gun. Chokes come in different restrictions and are disigned different, some have a short tapper, some a long tapper, sizing can depend on shot size aswell. because it is tight don't mean its going to handle your shot they way you want. Over restricted can resault in flyers and will open a pattern up other then making it tighter. I'm not saying that other chokes are no good by no means , but looking into good chokes for resaults is a good idea. I've seen almost every choke other then Rhino shoot. The "Gobblin Thunder" is one of the better chokes for a good pattern. I took this patterning thing into a another side and had a very well known gunsmith challenge his skills on producing a choke to out shot some of the one I have only using #4 and #5. Hastings in 3 sizes, Com-n-choke and another one, he did a 5 mouth test and came up with a couple chokes that I had to take to the field. The resaults just was unbelieveable .With a turkey target at 30 yards the choke can put near ever pellet in a 1 foot circle , the problems with this is at 20 your going to have a soft ball size pattern, on a moving bird this could resault in a miss.

In the US it is easy to find these different chokes , but here in Ontario its another thing, most stores do not /will not carry a good quauity choke. The next step is having the guys that make these for a living , do the job for ya. Since I had mine done , there has been a number of hunters go to the same person and have chokes done for there gun, and all are very impressed...BT
Old 02-06-2004, 04:10 PM

The jellyhead by primos.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Rhino is the one for me.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

I also own a Remington 870 Super Mag. After a exhaustive four-year search, I found that the Remington Super Full Turkey Choke delivers the deadliest pattern I have ever seen. That was after using the HS Strut "Undertaker," a Remington Extra Full, and one other choke.

The Super Full delivered about 40 pellets inside a 10-inch circle at about 30 yards. The beauty of this choke is that distance is an ADVANTAGE, not a disadvantage. You aren't disadvantaged until the bird gets CLOSE because of the tight pattern. This choke simply slam dunks turkeys. Best shot is either a 3" #5 or #6. Deadly.