Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Beretta + Rhino + Hevi-Shot = Awesome! >

Beretta + Rhino + Hevi-Shot = Awesome!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Beretta + Rhino + Hevi-Shot = Awesome!

Old 02-01-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Beretta + Rhino + Hevi-Shot = Awesome!

I finally got out and shot my new Beretta 391 yesterday. It was a heck of a long time to wait, seeing as how I bought the gun last August. I had been shopping for a new autoloader for a few months and went down to Gander Mountain in Chambersburg. I planned on looking at the Browing Gold, Benelli M1 and the Beretta AL391. After checking them all out, I quickly fell in love with the Beretta.

As some of you know, I love using a scope for turkey hunting, and this gun has scope mounts right on the reciever, super!! My Simmons 2X ProDiamond found a home on the gun right away. I had big plans of using Hevi-Shot this year so I called Rhino Gun Cases and after a quick conversation, decided on one of their ported turkey chokes with a constriction of .660. They explained that this tube would shoot both Hevi-Shot and my favorite lead loads well.

I went to the patterning range and started out shooting light loads at 25 yards to get my scope dialed in. After 4 or 5 shots I was dead on, so I moved my patterning board out to 40 yards, threw in a 3" Winchester HV #5 (my "old reliable" shell) and let 'er rip. I was quite impressed upon examing the target, close to 90% of the shot fell in a 30 inch circle. But, this was nothing compared to what the gun would do with Hevi-Shot!!

I put up a fresh target and sat back down at the bench. I fed the gun one of Remington's standard 3" Hevi-Shot loads with 1 5/8 oz. of #6s and let the board have it. I walked out and about fell over! The pattern was close to 95% []. Truly a turkey killer, no... make that annhialator!!
I moved the board back to 50 yards and fired another Remington shell. Man, now I was really impressed, at 50 yards, those shells and the Rhino choke printed a pattern of 85-90%!! I'm not saying I condone taking longer shots at turkeys, but with pattern density like this, and the knock down power of Hevi-Shot, I won't hesitate to let a hung-up bird have it [>:]!!

To say I'm even more fired up for spring than normal would be an understatement!!

Tyler
Old 02-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beretta + Rhino + Hevi-Shot = Awesome!

Kewl!! [&:]
Old 02-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beretta + Rhino + Hevi-Shot = Awesome!

Now that you have that Rhino choke tube, you "HAVE" to try Nitro hevishot loads!! Specifically their H378 3" 1 7/8oz of 4X5X7!!