Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Merriams, Which State?

Old 01-24-2004, 04:13 AM
VP

Default Merriams, Which State?

My Dad and I have been talking about making a hunt for Merriams 2005 but cant decide which state to go to- Can some of you guys give me your opinions?
We would like to hunt public land if possible, fairly easly accessed, and I'm assuming most of those states have to be drawn for tags??

Or if someone would like to swap a hunt for two, hunting easterns in Louisiana(60,000 acres Nat Forest) or Rio's in West Texas let me know, maybe we could work something out.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Merriams, Which State?

VP first of all thankyou for the invite you sent,just not sure I can do it this year my friend.

As for Merriams , I've found that the Black Hills of SD seem to be one of the best areas , I've hunted. The Public land just runs for ever. Most of the roads are accessable with a small car as long as they have not got a blast of snow. The Hunting is great and the presure near the start is very Low. Merriams tend to move after flydown so covering ground at first light is a good practice Locating with volume calls.

I've also hunted NE in Chadron , that has some Public Tracks, with a healthy Population.

WY. also has some Public in the Black Hills but seems to be more cramped with private covering the access.

Hope this helps ya...BT
Old 01-24-2004, 06:38 AM
VP

Thanks BT,
One of the area's we had original talked about was SD. I'm gonna start doing a little searching and see what I can come up with off the internet, start getting my TUrkeys in a row for 05 if ya know what I mean.

As far as the invite, "anytime"! Just let me know, and we'll get hooked up

Thanks
VP
Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 PM

Good question VP !! I, too hold an interest in a merriams hunt . Hoping to get a little more info on the black hills area of S. D. for a 2005 hunt.