Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkeys in the rain

Old 01-21-2004, 07:03 PM

Default turkeys in the rain

how many like hunting turkeys in the rain, or just reset the alarm clock roll back to sleep.
its hard to get yourself syked up when its raining, but if you don't have much time to get out. your best bet is to get out their when its raining. i shot lots of birds when its raining.pouring rain will be hard to deal with, but when it lets up and the sun shines. those birds will like to get dried off.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 PM

Default RE: turkeys in the rain

when it rains i head to the fields...
Old 01-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Bobcat is right about the field thing in the rain, When it comes to turkey hunting i hunt no matter what the weather , i killed one of my biggest gobblers in the rain before.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:17 PM

Hey gs, i didn't realize at first that was you that wrote this post, But just got back on to say hi .
Old 01-21-2004, 07:24 PM

I don't necessarily like hunting in the rain for anything, but the rain isn't gonna stop me from getting out of the truck this spring! Reason is I picked myself up an Ameristep Doghouse blind during the off season. If it rains, I'll be sittin' in the old blind high and dry. You've got to maximize your time hunting even if it rains because everyday isn't going to be a bluebird day in the spring!
Old 01-21-2004, 07:46 PM

RAIN , ICE , LIGHTNING, HELL STORM, TORNADO, IT DOES NOT MATTER TO ME ITS TURKEY SEASON SO THE HUNT IS ON[8D]
Old 01-22-2004, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are nuts ! just kidding. I carry in my vest the BuckWing Port-A-Roof. It is very compact and is like an Unbrellia with a side out. I can in no time at all place it on a tree and sit under it , or if I just need a blind setup in front of me just lay it down and sit behind me. Its a great piece of equipment.

I remember a hunt I was on with Ernie Callendrellie in Texas. He dropped me off on a sunny afternoon and headed for another area to hunt, well in a couple of hours the shy turned nasty and all of a suddon it started to get windy and the hell stones came down the size of Golf balls, well I needed cover and ran for trees , lol (Texas don't have trees ) here I am under a Masket tree looking up and there is no branches on them, man I'm getting pounded with balls of ice and these suckers hurt. So I took out to find a Rock (Texas has lots of rocks) I found a nice big flat one and put it over my head. This went on for about 20 minutes and then they stopped and it down right poured. We needless to say Ernie showed up with the truck as soon as the storm passed and the sun was coming back out. I'm soked to the bone, well he laughed and said man they have some nasty storms here. The birds don't work real good in these kind of storms never seen or heard a bird. Well we started to drive up the road a couple hundred yards where I left my Turkey vest on the side of the road , I said stop here Ernie, and he stopped. I jumped out and grabed my vest out of the ditch and put it in the back , then turned around and walked over and picked Up my Gobbler aswell that he did not see Well he could not believe it, I laughed and said Back atch ya Ernie . After this storm I got me a Port-a-roof...BT
Old 01-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do I like turkey hunting in the rain? No. But to me, turkeys are easier to hunt in the rain. As Bobcat said, head for the fields or openings. There's less guesswork as to where they'll be.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:48 AM

Hey MoTurkeyTamer--a tip w/ your new Doghouse--Get some seam sealer from a camping goods store/department and seal the seams of your Doghouse before you go hunting in the rain this spring, plus, get some silicone spray and spray the whole darn Doghouse a couple of times. Those acts will increase the Doghouse's moisture resistance for rainy days. The material the Doghouse is made of is not exactly rainproof like a tent, unless they've changed the material since I got mine. Pay special attention to the roof, in particular, as it tends to collect a pool of water in rainstorms, and eventually that moisture will leak in through the seams or the material, and the darn thing will drip on you.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

A light drizzle and no wind or right after a hard rain are my 2 favorite times to hunt.

Quick Reply: turkeys in the rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.