HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Good Turkey Ammo for Moss. 835 12 Ga.? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/50262-good-turkey-ammo-moss-835-12-ga.html)

avid_bowhunter2005 01-21-2004 09:47 AM

Good Turkey Ammo for Moss. 835 12 Ga.?

I am going to try giving a shot at turkey huntin' this spring for the tournament, and I am wondering what ammo would be good. And shoud I go ahead and get another choke for my gun? The Ulti-Mag is supposed to have 18 inch patterns at 40 yards! I am runnning cheap on moolah and if i can get by with what i have now, it would be great.;)

Martin Cougar 01-21-2004 10:27 AM

RE: Good Turkey Ammo for Moss. 835 12 Ga.?

I have the same gun - I hunted with the tightest choke that game w/ the gun for several years. Patterned real well - no problems. Saved up some cash and bought a Comp-N-Choke for it 2 years ago. An aftermarket tube really tightened up the pattern.

I think you have a fine base right now and have options to improve your set-up.

As far as ammo - try a few different kinds if possible. I couldn't get Federals to pattern very well from my gun. I prefer Remingtons #6. I did pick up a box of Winchester HV #6's in the off-season that I plan to test this spring.

yankeehunter 01-21-2004 04:38 PM

I too have the same gun with the factory ultr-choke. This weekend I shot Federal 6's and Winchester 5's and found the Federals to work better. With the Federals at 30 yards I was shooting right around 40 pellets in the head. Not bad, but with a better aftermarket choke I think it can do better.

Turkey Addict 01-21-2004 04:48 PM

All the guys I know with the Mossberg 835 Ulti mag like shooting Winchesters. My self Included. I got mine shooting real well with Win #6 shot. But the best way to find out what your gun likes is to try as many brands as you can afford.
I also have a Comp-N-Choke in my 835.

You won't have any trouble thumping Gobblers with the setup you got. I Killed my first gobbler at 45 yards with my factory turkey choke and Winchester 6 shot. He never flopped.

Tarheel Turkey 01-21-2004 05:55 PM

The Winchester #6 HV's are a good choice. At least they have been in my 835.

wacker 01-21-2004 06:24 PM

Winchester #6 hv has worked well for me.

GOBBLER TRACKS 01-21-2004 07:54 PM

I also have the 835 ulti-mag and i shoot winchester 3 1/2 HV 2 oz # 6 shot and it works great, i used the factory ulti full choke with good results, But this year i bought the jellyhead from primos and am really excited to try it out when the weather gets a little nicer, plus i might try the hevi-shot also if i can afford it.

Anthony Hunter 01-22-2004 12:37 AM

With my 835 i shoot the Winchester HV #6's or Federals #5's. With the Winchesters having a slight edge. I have the factory choke and the H.S. strut choke....not much difference between them.

I will say that the best thing i did to improve the pattern of my 835 was to polish the barrel. I first herd about this right here on this forum. I got a bag of 0000 steel wool and took a rifle cleaning rod with a brass brush attached (the brass brush just holds the steel wool) and wrapped steel wool around it until i had a "plug" that just fit inside my barrel. I hooked the cleaning rod to a drill and polished up and down the barrel until it shined like a new car. Adding a bit of WD-40 speeds this process along, same as honing the cylinder in motor. After this i went back to the patterning board and I was amazed at the result.....

AH

keyshunter 01-22-2004 05:53 AM

Anthony,
It's interesting that you should mention the bore job. When my wife's 835 was new, the bore was lined with what appeared to be camo overspray and it was like looking through an old chimney. Patterns were ok, but not great.
I read on the board about burnishing the bore--similar to what you did, so I figured what the hell, and went to work. It took a while with a slow speed drill, but I was amazed at the result. It now shoots great patterns with the factory turkey choke--much better than my 870 with factory or Undertaker tubes.
This particular 835 prefers 2oz. Federal Premium 3" #5 over all others we have tried, but it shoots good patterns with 1 3/4 oz. Winchester 3" #5 or #6 as well.

sour01 01-22-2004 06:45 AM

I have Hastings choke in my 835. I have a great pattern and impressive results in the turkey woods with Winchester HV 3.5" #4's.