Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What IF ?

Old 01-20-2004, 09:15 PM
VP

Default What IF ?

What if a man was interested in getting started in making friction calls, what kind of basic equipment/tools would he need to acquire?And how much would he expect to spend?
And how difficult is it to make calls say for somebody that can barley chop firewood, much less get it in the fireplace?
I guess you could say I lack the skills of craftsmanship- BUT, I can shore tear some stuff up, according to my wife I'm like that guy on the commercial with the duck tape- It fixes ANYTHING!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What IF ?

VP,
making Calls is a very skillful trade. It can take time to play with different things just to see if it works. One problem that one can run into is putting and hour or two into a peice and thing breaks. Slate calls can be turned on a Lathe. Most lathes used are small and can run in the 100-200 dollar range. You need chisels to turn and cut the wood , about 50-100 bucks,Belt sanders are another piece of equipment that is needed at most times, and a band saw. I don't think spending a 1000-2000 would be out of the way for the right tools. Production equipment can run you into the high 1000's because of the large equipment that is need for mass.

My strikers I make are done on a small 12 in lathe, it takes me about 1 hour to finish one striker. I've made hundreds just to see what woods sound like and get different sizes. Once I found what I was looking for I made a templet of a striker and use it for guideance on everyone. There are Kits that one can buy that have all the pieces and you need to put them togeather, this cuts down the exspence of equipment. The next thing is time to do them. I believe there is a site that you can go to for the parts to make , customsawing I think is the site ...BT