Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 These will help you at the patterning range... >

These will help you at the patterning range...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

These will help you at the patterning range...

Old 01-19-2004, 06:06 PM

Default These will help you at the patterning range...

I think I've just stumbled onto a great little device for patterning a turkey gun. It's the Stoney Point Steady Stix II. I didn't purchase them for this purpose, but do believe they will come in handy on the patterning range. I've always struggled with a way to hold my gun steady while patterning the tooth jarring turkey loads. I made the mistake several years ago of shooting off a bench like a rifle and the heavy recoil sent me to the chiropractor for several trips to get the ole back put back into place. I've since patterned while sitting on the ground in a position similar to a hunting setup minus the tree to lean on. Thus the recoil sends you rocking backwards and helps to absorb the punishment. And I've used several self engineered devices and small tables to try to steady the gun on which is imperative IMO when shooting w/ an optical device such as a red-dot or scope which I do. So I do believe I've found the ultimate device in the Steady Stix II which will adjust for heights from kneeling to sitting and require no holding of the Steady Stix once the gun is positioned in the V-notch, thus enabling you to hold onto the gun with both hands. On top of this, the Steady Stix will come in handy for any other type of shooting, be it deer, varmint, etc. They are priced from $30-$35 depending on where you shop and I can say that it is money well spent. Try a set of them and I believe you'll think so too!
Old 01-19-2004, 06:25 PM

Default RE: These will help you at the patterning range...

I got a set for christmas but haven't tried them out yet.How well do you think they will work in the turkey woods?
Old 01-19-2004, 06:46 PM

MOTurkeyTamer,
i see you use a red dot scope. how do you like it?. i i been using fiber optic sights and open sights for years. now i have two scopes sitting here, one a red dot and a simmons diamond scope. do you have problems seeing the red dot when you shoulder you gun real fast?. i want to mount the red dot and then i want the simmons. any suggesions.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:20 PM

Wacker, I don't intend to ever take the Steady Stix with me to the turkey woods. I can't imagine that they would ever be an asset while actually turkey hunting. Other types of hunting, yes, but turkey hunting, no.

Gobblerspur, I have a scope on my shotgun and not a red-dot. If I were you and had the choice of either one of them just laying there, I would go with the scope setup. No batteries, no on-off switch, and more likely to hold up against some brutal recoil, all the more reasons to pick the scope. I think once you use a scope on your next turkey hunt, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one!
Old 01-20-2004, 12:27 PM

HEY GOBBLERSPUR I ALSO USE THE SIMMONS PRO DIAMOND 2X SCOPE IT IS LIGHTWEIGHT AND SMALL I REAALY LIKE IT. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:28 PM

GOBBLERSPUR BY THE WAY CHECK YOUR E MAIL!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:30 PM

If you go to Precision Rifle bullets home page they tell you how to make your own set of shooting sticks. I am going to make a pair but I am going to try half round baseboard trim with the one flat side. They won't fold up as small as steady stix but cheaper and would help on the range. I think sticks would work fine in the turkey woods. You could just prop the gun in them so you don't have to hold it up. My son shot his first bird last year off of a monopod I have so it wasn't so hard for him to hold up the 12 gauge he was using for the first time. Would it hurt to use a bench and start the sighting in of a scope on your shotgun using 2 3/4 bird loads till you get it close? There wouldn't be nearly as much kick with those.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:41 PM

hcurt, you could use lighter loads to "get on the paper" so to speak before you put in the real "kickers". Shooting the magnum turkey loads off a bench wasn't the ticket for me, but might be alright for the next guy if he has a strong back! I've never had a problem since I started patterning from the sitting position on the ground, except holding the gun rock steady. That's where I believe the Steady Stix will really shine!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:50 PM

That is what I thought you could do was shoot the lighter loads till I at least have the scope on the paper then hopefully just a few of the heavy loads to fine tune it. I will try the bench on the light loads but I may go to shooting sticks for the turkey loads or my monopod. MOTurkeyTamer where are you located in Missouri?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:59 PM

hcurt, I live in Harrison County which borders the Iowa line in north central MO. The huntin' is good in the old Show-Me-State for sure!