HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   New Strikers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/49011-new-strikers.html)

VP 01-11-2004 08:00 AM

New Strikers

I'm planning on getting a couple of new strikers for my Glass call before season starts, anybody have any good experience with different types of wood, mushroom versus regular tips so on- give me some suggestions- also I hear Adrian makes a couple of nice mushroom strikers with different woods-

thanks

jalvja 01-11-2004 08:54 AM

RE: New Strikers

VP,Adrian makes a striker outta what he calls his SECRET WOOD.It makes a real sweet sound.It's mushroomed.

MOTurkeyTamer 01-11-2004 07:14 PM

Blodgett makes a nice laminated mushroomed tip striker.

Bobgobble2 01-11-2004 09:06 PM

It aint secret Jimbo its Canadian!!!:DBT does make some nice stuff,I happen to like his walnut striker!!;)

ShawneeHunter 01-11-2004 10:25 PM

VP,try the WoodsWise Mystic Stick.I have one of these and absolutely love it.You can make ultra loud cutts with it as well as super soft purrs.It works when wet and also on oily surfaces,just not as well on the oily surfaces.You seldom need to condition the striker also.

Brampton Mike 01-12-2004 04:23 AM

:D Yep....the wood from Adrian's old outhouse is sure getting some good use!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D I won't tell you what part of the outhouse his 'SECRET WOOD' comes from!! ;) Brampton Mike [8D]

Adrian J Hare 01-12-2004 05:18 AM

Strikers can come in different woods. Every striker will have a tone difference on anyone surface. There are a number of strikers that can be used in wet conditions, and the carbon is on of my favorites as Volume can be achieved along with the wet capability. A couple of years ago I started to turn my own strikers on a lathe. After playing with different woods and profiles of a striker, I came to a profile that worked well and had the shape that one could attach a lanyard to it without any bad preformance to the striker while one used it. With this idea the turkey hunter has not got the problem with the loss of a favorite striker. Here is an old photo of the strikers I now produce. The only problem with this winter is the time of getting them done. Thankyou too the ones that have gave my strikers a plug, and the fella's on the board that has ordered in the passed.(JoeA yours is being done my friend and thanks for being patient.)

VP 01-13-2004 05:42 AM

Ok, so I guess Adrians "Out House Strikers" are pretty sweet. The picture looks pretty sharp to- Does anyone have any paticular wood they prefer over another for a Glass call and why they prefer it.
Adrian, how does one acquire one of them "Out House Strikers" and which one do you prefer for Glass?

Adrian J Hare 01-13-2004 04:30 PM

VP, Just email me if you would like , I can give you prices and the woods I use

Walnut works fine on glass, I built some walnut and cherry for a fello that Comp calls and he liked it.
Purple heart works well on all surfaces. Chestnut also sounds good aswell.
Hope that helps ya...BT