Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need Some Gun Suggestions >

Need Some Gun Suggestions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need Some Gun Suggestions

Old 11-24-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Need Some Gun Suggestions

Okay folks, I' m relying on you here. The answers you give me will dictate whats under the tree this Christmas, so don' t put any pressure on yourselves. Thanks for all the info I' m getting in here by the way.

Okay- myself. I want a 12 gauge. Doesn' t matter to me particularly whether its a Mossberg, Remington, Winchester...., just need a good gun for turkey hunting. Probably won' t do any other kind of hunting for the next year or two, except maybe some bird hunting of some sort (other than the king of all birds). Don' t want to spend a " ton" of money, but need a good reliable gun. What would you folks suggest?

Secondly, I have a twelve year-old that is learning along with me. I' m going to move him real slow through all this as long as his interest continues. He' s a typical kid for his age. He has completed a hunter safety course as he wanted to do it, plus I' ve taught him plenty about gun safety. I' m hearing a lot of suggestions for a .410 for him. But, I think he can easily handle a 20 gauge. Again, decent gun, but I don' t want it made of gold or anything. I need a couple of guns I can get out and hunt in the weather with. For him, what would you suggest??

Okay... I' ll let you all off the hook. I can' t promise I' ll use your advice. ha ha
Old 11-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Some Gun Suggestions

Remingtom 870 - 12 &20 Gauge...BT
Old 11-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree wholeheartedly with BT here![:-]870' s for the money,versatility,and reliability are tough to beat!I' ve had one for quite awhile(12G) and its been in some downright nasty conditions,duck hunting and chukar hunting, and just keeps performing!!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:13 PM

You didn' t mention any sort of budget, but for me I love the 870 Remington but I have never had a moments regret shooting the Mossberg. Plus it is about half of what the Remington or Winchester costs. You won' t go wrong with any of the three you listed tho. All haver their repsective strong points and weak points.
Good luck and good hunting but always hunt safe.....
Old 11-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

what BT and Bob said.My 12 year old shot his first turkey this fall with a 20 ga.Killed it dead.The 870 is a hard gun to beat,plannin on gettin my son one for Christmas too.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same here, the 870 for the money is awful hard to beat, and while you are at it, look at the 870 super mag for yourself, they are a great turkey gun.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:06 PM

Great advice. Thats exactly the two guns I personally would feel most comfortable with. You' re advice tells me I' m probably right. But, this Browning 20 gauge , 22" barrel, with mossy " break-up" camo pattern and the NWTF logo is a flirting with me a bit as well. Thanks though. I' ll probably wind up going 870 12 and 20.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also recommend the Rem 870. It was my first 12ga pump that I owned and I loved it. Too bad it was stolen about 8 years ago. [:' (] I now shoot a Rem 11-87 which does the job well too. Just a heavier gun since it' s an autoloader.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:52 AM

Well if you want a gun that you can use for upland bird hunting also i would have to agree with the 870, in supermag that is. The supermag will allow you to shoot 3 1/2" for turks and waterfowl. Now if you want a strictly turkey gun you may want to look at the Mossberg 835 in camo, but i wouldnt suggest lugging one around hunting upland but it loves the turkey woods and you could drop it in quicksand, pull it out, and blast ole doulble beard!!
Old 11-25-2003, 02:39 AM

See if you can find a good 16 gauge for your son, recoil is very light and still has good power.For yourself, the Mossberg 835 is a great gobbler gun with lots of nice little extras; stock spacers, padded sling,carry case,good camo and did I mention the 10yr. warrenty?

Quick Reply: Need Some Gun Suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.