Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What do you like to hear in a Turkey Seminar ? >

What do you like to hear in a Turkey Seminar ?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What do you like to hear in a Turkey Seminar ?

Old 02-04-2002, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you like to hear in a Turkey Seminar ?

Its the time of year where I am getting calls on Seminars and like to get everyones input or opinions on what a turkey hunter that sits in a seminar and listens to a speaker, would like to hear. What would keep your intrest?.Help a few of us out here on this Guys ...BT
Old 02-04-2002, 10:00 AM

Default RE: What do you like to hear in a Turkey Seminar ?

I know a lot of seminars talk about calling techniques. However what I always found to be most benificial was effective setups and using terrain to your advantage. Also some feedback on making those split second decisions like do I stay or move on this turkey? What to do if you got a bird coming in from behind? Good woodsmanship has killed more turkeys than calling by far. Also a given is safety, safety and a little more safety.

Good Hunting!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:08 AM

I know a lot of times at seminars I do I like to try and have a question and answer time. When this goes well I always believe it is the best part, because everyone is getting to hear about what they want to know about. I really encourage you to speak up and ask a question. A lot of times guys that have questions don't do it in front of a group, and then I get the same question ten times after the seminar. I don't mind answering the question ten times, I love to talk turkey. I just hate that we missed a great opportunity for a group discussion. This is assuming the seminar is less than fifty people or you have microphones.

Ryan Tucker

Old 02-05-2002, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I want it to be educational and teach me something new. I don't want to hear a company promoting their calls. I like to hear someone who is not afraid to share their tips and tricks.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

A few years ago I attended the NWTF training seminar. I will say it was the best and most enjoyable day that I ever spent in a classroom. Alot of the talk was about technigue, but a lot of it was about safety, colors not to wear, camo, calling..
Old 02-05-2002, 02:23 PM

I think there are a lot of newcomers to turkey hunting. Explaining different types of terrain that might hold turkeys is a good choice. But it is hard to combine different states like Montana and ohio, both have their own kinds of habitat. Scouting hints would be a good subject also, as in what to look for and how to decipher what you see and hear.There is a bunch you could educate on before you even mention setting up and calling to a bird. That is the type of info I look for and find interesting.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:30 PM

I'm new to the sport and the thing that I have found to be most fustrating to me is the lack of info given for "special" hunting. Very few talk of the fall season and the tactics that should be used, calling for fall, etc...

I also bowhunt only. Few want to talk about bowhunting turkey and the special use of the terrain, equipment and safety. I know that I fall into the minority of turkey hunters but I can find tons of info on shotgun, Spring turkey hunting. Very little gets dedicated to bow or the fall season. Just a thought.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is one subjet that you dont hear much about in seminars. That is hunting on public land. I guess the reason for that is most people that give seminars dont hunt there much. A lot of us guys dont have the luxury of hunting on private farms and leases.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great points guys ! thanks so far...BT
Old 02-06-2002, 04:28 AM

BT: It has been a long time since I have been to a seminar on Turkey Hunting. I teach hunter safety and part I teach on is Turkey Hunting. Most of the questions I get is what types of call to use, how loud to call, how offen to call, where to shoot the bird at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.