HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Wisconsin Conservation Congress Spring Hearings (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/429014-wisconsin-conservation-congress-spring-hearings.html)

JW 01-31-2023 06:16 PM

Wisconsin Conservation Congress Spring Hearings

Here in Wisconsin as a resident I can vote on many new issues brought up by its residents through the Vonservation Congress Spring hearings.
Topics cover alot of Hunting and Fishing laws and regulations.
And as a resident I can also submit an idea for change.
So I am!

Turkey Hunting
Legal means to harvest a turkey today in Wisconsin is by shotgun, muzzleloader, crossbow, or by bow and arrow.

My suggestion.
Legal means to harvest a wild turkey is by:
Any firearm capable of holding a fixed shotshell, muzzlel9ader, crossbow, or bow and arrow.

Why?
This change would allow me or others to hunt wild turkey using a handgun such as a Taurus Judge 45/410 Revolver. Or that new Diablo 12 GA. Handgun.

Actually I have taken 5 birds now with my Taurus Judge 410, loaded with Apex tungsten TSS 9.5 Shot. I have a decent 25 yard pattern. It's Legal to use a handgun in a few states. So I do.
Why not my home state?
So I am in the process authoring this change. I hope to get it thru the CC system and on the Spring ballot.for this year.

Sure is a fun way to hunt!

JW

Bocajnala 02-01-2023 03:15 AM

I tell people all the time about you and your Judge.

Truly impressive!

I've yet to run into another turkey hunter who uses one.

-Jake

JW 02-01-2023 10:49 AM

Here's 2! Lol
Me and rhe man who started it. He bunny hunts for snowshoes with it.

Bocajnala 02-01-2023 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4409328)
Here's 2! Lol
Me and rhe man who started it. He bunny hunts for snowshoes with it.

I suppose archery is probably still more difficult...
I've never archery hunted for turkey specifically... Only in the fall while deer hunting.

But the judge wins by cool factor for sure.

-Jake

JW 02-01-2023 03:56 PM

Well Jake I also made another 1st using a Bullhead tri-vane guillotine broadhead in my 10pt Titan crossbow!
Took his head clean off! Well almost. 13 yd shot.
To be honest I was 1 for 7 attemps. Ya either hit it or a clean miss.

Man I love turkey hunting

shuaibumuh 04-04-2023 03:26 AM

It's great to hear that you are taking an active role in proposing changes to the hunting laws and regulations in your state, Wisconsin. Your suggestion to expand the legal means of harvesting wild turkey to include any firearm capable of holding a fixed shotshell, muzzleloader, crossbow, or bow and arrow seems reasonable, especially given that other states already allow hunting wild turkey with handguns. It's also good to know that you have had success using a Taurus Judge 410 to hunt wild turkey. I wish you luck in your efforts to get this proposal through the CC system and onto the Spring ballot. Happy hunting!