HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Mouth calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/428483-mouth-calls.html)

DJfan 10-01-2022 01:09 PM

Mouth calls

I just bought a few at a place going out of business. 70% off. Pretty happy with that part, but can't figure how to use them without tickling the roof of my mouth. Sounds off know, but it has to be done by some of you, or else they wouldn't sell ever.

Any hints? Tnx!

Oldtimr 10-01-2022 02:54 PM

You Have to practice using them. I always bend mine when I get them to have a slight curve on the top so it fits the roof of your mouth. Push it against the roof of your mouth with the thick part of your your tongue. Don't blow like you would a duck call, force the air between the roof of your mouth and the call . After a few minutes of practice you will get the hang of it. Go into the garage or somewhere out of the house or your wife will be unhappy.

Champlain Islander 10-02-2022 04:29 PM

I don't have much luck with them. I get great sound while practicing at the house but when I get out in the field with a hot bird my mouth gets dry and I blow it.

Timbrhuntr 10-02-2022 04:37 PM

I agree with the advise except bending the call. If you do that it can mess with the stretch the call maker put in the material when they built the call and change its sound and uses. When I first started using mouth calls I used to get the tickle also but as I used them more I got used to it so it doesn't bother me anymore. If you had a gag reflex that would be different and harder to get over. If it keeps bugging you you could try cutting the tape a bit smaller as too much tape can cause this feeling sometimes and it won't mess with the call sounds.

redmag 10-04-2022 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4406633)
You Have to practice using them. I always bend mine when I get them to have a slight curve on the top so it fits the roof of your mouth. Push it against the roof of your mouth with the thick part of your your tongue. Don't blow like you would a duck call, force the air between the roof of your mouth and the call . After a few minutes of practice you will get the hang of it. Go into the garage or somewhere out of the house or your wife will be unhappy.

I also bend my mouth calls to fit the roof of my mouth better. I have not had a problem because of the bending but have held onto calls too long and they stretch out, I first learned on a blue perfection 2 reed call way back in late 70s, I think. Lots of crazy sounds but I had time to work on it as my commutes which were about 1.5 hrs. I finally started making sounds that sounded turkey-like by saying "chuck" and forceing the sound between my call and tongue with light pressure on the call with the tip of my tongue. Once I could do that I started to string them together, chuck, chuck chuck. I don't use the mouth call as much as I once did but I use it make a cluck that some call a "bubble cluck" which is very effective. Keep practicing, it will come.