Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Osceola in 2023

Old 09-04-2022, 05:21 AM
car
Typical Buck

Default Osceola in 2023

I've dreamed about hunting Osceola for years, finally it's going to happen in 2023. My biggest hurdle is finding a place affordable! After looking at a few outfitters and how much their charging, I really don't want to spend 2-3 thousand dollars to hunt a turkey. I'm not sure if looking into paying a fee to hunt private land is an option, but I would like to go that route. Next option would be if I could get someone willing to help me out with where to hunt and the general information that would make this hunt a safe and enjoyable one. I'm sure a lot of you are reading this and thinking another guy not wanting to do the leg work on his own and wants someone else to do it for him. That's not entirely true, I'm an avid turkey hunter and when this web site held the turkey hunting contest each year, I was always involved with it and I usually did pretty good. Anyways, I'm just a retired guy that loves to hunt looking for some advice on where to hunt in a state that I've never hunted before.

car

Last edited by car; 09-04-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:39 AM
Spike

You'll be lucky to get a hunt at most notable outfitters on less than a year notice. Most are already booked by now. If I were you, treat yourself to a retirement gobbler with a reputable outfit and let them place you on a prime piece of private with no pressure. Just beware that anyone in S. Fl who has "turkeys" coming to a bird feeder in the backyard of their sub division think they can be an outfitter and get 3k for every bird they see. One of the many horror stories of a local guy did just that, "outfitter" sat him on the back porch of a house in a plastic chair to watch the yard for the local turkeys. The "meals provided" were hot dogs and pb/jelly sandwiches. He spent a lot of money on 3 trips for him and his kid with different people trying to take shortcuts and find that 'deal' and I think they only killed one bird total. Last I heard, he still needed one to complete his slam.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:05 AM
Spike

I have the same dream. I just need more money!!
Old 09-23-2022, 05:12 PM
Spike

Message me, I have a suggestion

Last edited by MNHOSCEOLA; 09-24-2022 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Shorten
Old 09-25-2022, 04:20 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Gobbles no different than an Eastern.
JW
Old 12-10-2022, 06:51 AM
car
Typical Buck

Boy did I screw up! I've waited too long to apply for a permit to one of the WMA areas to turkey hunt. Not only that but it looks like more than likely with no points I wouldn't have drawn one anyway. I should have looked closer that the turkey hunting rules before now, no one to blame but myself!!
Old 12-10-2022, 03:02 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I can attest that car was active in all the turkey contests I ran here.

And im in the same boat. No way can I afford that Osceola hunt. I do wish all the best.

JW
Old 12-11-2022, 07:12 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
I can attest that car was active in all the turkey contests I ran here.

And im in the same boat. No way can I afford that Osceola hunt. I do wish all the best.

JW
Thanks JW, like I said, I figured I would just go on my own for a few days while down there on vacation. I saw that there was a huge WMA close to where will be staying. If I'm looking at it correctly, to hunt in the WMA you need a permit and all of the permits are gone and more than likely I wouldn't have drawn one anyway. I didn't realize that's how it works in Florida to turkey hunt on WMA land. Totally my fault for not reading the laws ahead of time. Of course, I can hunt private land or with an outfitter, just not WMA land.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:52 AM
car
Typical Buck

Well , it looks like I'll get to hunt Osceola this year after all. On our way home from vacationing in southern Florida we're going to stop, and I'll get to hunt 3 days in the opening of the north season on public ground. I'm not crazy about hunting public ground, especially on opening weekend but at least I'm going to get a shot at hunting Osceola! This will probably be me only chance at doing it, so I'll give it my all! I'm sure if and I do mean if I get one I'll post it here!
Old 01-26-2023, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

IF you are successful -doing it that way will have more value to you than having paid big bucks to an outfitter anyway!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.