HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Question about Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/428149-question-about-turkey-hunting.html)

jennyferraynor 07-15-2022 08:24 AM

Question about Turkey Hunting

Hey folks, I'm looking at getting into turkey hunting this fall and know very little about shotguns aside from what research I've been able to do online so sorry if this is a dumb question. I own a Mossberg 500 All purpose Field 410. and was planning on using it this season...I'm just curious if this would be a suitable gun to take turkey with? From what I understand it's a fixed full choke meaning I could not attach a turkey choke to it, correct? Would the shot pattern be too wide or would I have to shoot within a certain distance? Or would I need to look into buying another barrel that would accommodate a choke? Thanks for any input!

JW 07-15-2022 05:34 PM

The firearm is fine to use. But check your state regulations.

Pattern at 20 yards using a turkey head target. Google that there is free targets

I use a revolver with 9.5 TSS shot in a 3 inch 410 round. I have 25 yards with that in a hand gun.

Your goal is to get that turkey at the range your firearm.patterns well and stick to it.

JW

Ridge Runner 07-16-2022 05:36 AM

Get an indian creek, or Jebs turkey choke for your shotgun, and TSS ammo (Nitro Ammunition co. makes a 410 turkey load with 53/64ths of TSS) you should be able to have a killing pattern to 35+ yards.
edited to add
just looked up your gun, it is a fixed choke, would do ok, however if you had a smith alter it for screw in chokes and ran a extended turkey choke for turkey hunting it would extend your range. then for other purposes you could change out the chokes.

Timbrhuntr 07-16-2022 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4404772)
Get an indian creek, or Jebs turkey choke for your shotgun, and TSS ammo (Nitro Ammunition co. makes a 410 turkey load with 53/64ths of TSS) you should be able to have a killing pattern to 35+ yards.
edited to add
just looked up your gun, it is a fixed choke, would do ok, however if you had a smith alter it for screw in chokes and ran a extended turkey choke for turkey hunting it would extend your range. then for other purposes you could change out the chokes.

I would try it with TSS and the fixed choke first and see what the pattern looks like. TSS doesn't need a turkey choke to give a good pattern. My 20 gauge actually likes the normal choke better than a tight turkey choke.

JW 07-20-2022 06:32 PM

This was an awesome hunt.
410 Taurus Judge double
Our 36th yr hunting together

Ya I know I have my revolver pointed poorly!

JW

TurnersOutdoorsman 09-26-2022 02:17 AM

Using a gun is safe. However, check your state's laws. A 20-yard pattern of turkey head targets. Search for free destinations on Google. I shoot 9.5 TSS shots with a 3 inch 410 cartridge in my revolver. You can shoot a pistol from 25 meters away. Your target is the turkey in the shooting range. The pattern is correct and consistent.

Wingbone 09-26-2022 03:20 AM

Although it is apparently quite possible to successfully hunt turkeys with a properly outfitted .410, the guys who answered your questions are experienced turkey hunters. And, while it might be the case, I doubt any of them started out turkey hunting with a .410. It does limit your capabilities a great deal. You may want to consider going with a larger gauge shotgun to begin with.

rajesh12321 12-13-2022 03:51 PM

A20-yardpatternofturkeyheadtargets.SearchforfreedestinationsonGoogle.Ishoot9.5TSSshotswitha3inch410cartridgeinmyrevolver. I never accept this one ...

rajesh12321 12-13-2022 03:51 PM

Oldtimr 12-14-2022 04:20 AM

I am going to be the one who says it. A novice hunter would be better served if they used a more suitable caliber for hunting turkeys and so would be the turkeys, It is one thing when you are experienced to use a sub caliber shot to hunt, it is something else entirely to do it when you are not experienced. The saying "use enough gun", coined I believe by Robert Ruark, is appropriate in this situation. A decent shotgun can be purchased for not a whole lot of money and it would be suitable for many species of game. This is not a post being critical of the OP, she was asking for advice because she didn't know, however I do not believe as experienced hunters we should be encouraging new hunters to use a firearm that for a well seasoned experience hunter may be sufficient but for a novice is not. For the record I started hunting with a .410 which in my opinion is the worst possible choice for a beginner.