HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Weather Conditions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/425613-weather-conditions.html)

Jraut 04-30-2021 04:26 PM

Weather Conditions

Just wanted to get your opinions on whether it’s worth turkey hunting on windy days. It’s been in the mid 60s clear and sunny but like 15 mph winds. Will this hinder me from hearing them gobble? Is it worth trying?

elkman30 04-30-2021 07:37 PM

They still have to eat. And depending on how far north you are, they may still be finishing up mating season. Are you hunting public or private land? Are you able to set up in your hunting area before sunrise to see if toms are gobbling before they fly down from their roosts? Are you seeing any turkeys when you're driving out to your hunting area? I would still go out so you can figure it out.

Wingbone 05-01-2021 01:24 AM

Wind definitely cuts your chances of getting a turkey, but your chances go way down if you don't go turkey hunting. I've killed turkeys on windy days. They're still out there. Find a relatively quiet spot where you would expect to find them and do some calling.

Timbrhuntr 05-01-2021 07:08 AM

I agree with Wingbone that you can't kill them if you aren't out there but the only condition I don't like while turkey hunting is strong wind ! I find that I bump more birds and educate them on windy days. If its the only time you have to hunt I would be after them but if I could wait for the wind to settle I would . Having said that some places like Wyoming or New Mexico you may never get to hunt if you wait for the wind to die down lol

mrbb 05-01-2021 08:47 AM

I think it comes down to YOU< do you want to hunt in high winds and have a more challenging hunt
or would you rather just wait for a better day to hunt them

as turkeys are out there 24/7 its not like they stop being turkeys and hide all day due to winds

there just more on edge, alert, , you don't have the advantages of being able to hear them talk as much, due to winds covering up there sounds

but if you wanted to hunt them in the wind, you can,
just keep in mind winds can effect shots if strong enough gusts to move your projectiles, be it lead shot or likes, or arrows/bolts!
Wind will change point of aim pending how strong and far the target is!
if you never practiced in HIGH winds, , then maybe your better off sticking to closer shots or just passing till better weather is about for you!

I personally don't hunt in high winds or heavy to moderate rains anymore, for anything, I guess I got old and have more time to pick better days , but I also know we all don;t have that option, so? as I said, its your call!
turkeys are still out there

Bocajnala 05-01-2021 12:14 PM

Time.

That's the question and the answer. If you have the luxury to stay home and hunt when convenient, then go for it.

If you're like me with little kids, family, job all that then you hunt when the schedule allows.

-Jake

neb 05-01-2021 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr (Post 4391085)
I agree with Wingbone that you can't kill them if you aren't out there but the only condition I don't like while turkey hunting is strong wind ! I find that I bump more birds and educate them on windy days. If its the only time you have to hunt I would be after them but if I could wait for the wind to settle I would . Having said that some places like Wyoming or New Mexico you may never get to hunt if you wait for the wind to die down lol

I'm not so sure if wind is that big of factor on killing a turkey. As far as not hearing them that is true, or not as good as a non windy day. I can tell you in Montana the wind blows hard everyday and I have killed a lot of birds when the wind is howling. I wait till I call between gusts and call then. Lol If we waited till the wind never blew, we would never get out to hunt here.
I also like to hunt evenings here because wind does go down and is more pleasant hunting then verses wind. This year I harvested my turkey about 6:00 pm.

JW 05-02-2021 03:48 AM

Wind?

Wind doesnt bother me as I'll hunt.lee sides of ridges or farm lands. I look for those areas and will concentrate there.. Real high winds like monsoon type I sleep in.
Rain heavy down pours push birds in more open areas. Hard heavy rains I'll wait it out. Because when it stops and that last drip falls off the leaves your first call can bring the woods alive. Done that many.times in a few states.

it is hard to hear in high winds. I like using trumpets as I can get more volume.
Just my 2 cents.
JW

Timbrhuntr 05-02-2021 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by neb (Post 4391096)
I'm not so sure if wind is that big of factor on killing a turkey. As far as not hearing them that is true, or not as good as a non windy day. I can tell you in Montana the wind blows hard everyday and I have killed a lot of birds when the wind is howling. I wait till I call between gusts and call then. Lol If we waited till the wind never blew, we would never get out to hunt here.
I also like to hunt evenings here because wind does go down and is more pleasant hunting then verses wind. This year I harvested my turkey about 6:00 pm.

I have hunted spring turkeys in Montana for several years. Never really had a problem with high winds snow yes lol now Kansas and New Mexico yup hunted high winds there still got it done but like I said one thing I don’t like hunting them in is high winds but I will if I have too !

neb 05-02-2021 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr (Post 4391109)
I have hunted spring turkeys in Montana for several years. Never really had a problem with high winds snow yes lol now Kansas and New Mexico yup hunted high winds there still got it done but like I said one thing I don’t like hunting them in is high winds but I will if I have too !

I agree, I don't like it either but a guy can harvest them in windy conditions. It has blown here for a week now. I have a friend that I want to take before season ends. He doesn't care to go when ugly/windy. So. today I went to see if blind was still standing for all the wind and when I drove in, there was a hen and a strutting tom just yards from the blind. Wind blowing 25 and gusting higher. I called a few times and he would open his mouth.